Vista SP1 RC Refresh (Build 17128) now available via Windows Update

Ex_Brit

Staff member
John Gray said:
We are pleased to announce that we’ve made the Windows Vista SP1 “RC Refresh” (Build 17128) available for preview. This build will only be available via the “WU Experience.” The standalone will not be made available. Please see these technet pages: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738089.aspx for the link to install the script that will enable this update over Windows Update.

If you are running the RC, build 17052, you do not need to install this build – it is optional. If you do choose to install the new build, you must uninstall the RC build of the service pack first.

Many of the fixes between RC and RC Refresh will address some of the install problems many of you have been experiencing:
· SP install starts, and then just stops.
· Some of the 8007005 and similar errors
If you have been unable to install, we would appreciate if you would try this build. If it resolves your issue, please update any posts that you have made letting us know that it worked, and we’ll mark that thread as answered.

I want to thank all of you for the hard work in installing and testing the SP, especially those of you that have been frustrated by the install failures. We have another small batch of install failures that were not fixed yet in this build, but will have a fix prior to RTM. We know that there will still be some install issues with this build but it is a lot better. I know we haven’t kept up with many of the issues in the forum, but your feedback and the error codes and data from some of you has gone a long way to improving current builds. We've been hard at work on fixing the issues.

Thank You
John Gray and the Vista SP1 team.

This courtesy of Technet Forums @ http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2671259&SiteID=17

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great :smile:

It would suck if you were somehow locked out of installing all future builds :lol:
:tongueout:

Yikes, don't even mention it...LOL.
Only quirks I've found were also found in the previous build. Installation switches my line-in sound on and the default playback to headphones instead of speakers. Easily fixed.

Vista Ultimate's language packs all vanished from my hidden updates. They'll return apparently when the final SP appears.

Also, strangely, my Vista performance score went up from 4.0 to 4.1 & 4.0gb of RAM show in properties although only 3300 are being used in actual fact.

Last edited:
Vista Ultimate's language packs all vanished from my hidden updates. They'll return apparently when the final SP appears.

Also, strangely, my Vista performance score went up from 4.0 to 4.1 & 4.0gb of RAM show in properties although only 3300 are being used in actual fact.

Why would that happen? :S

Which one? The hidden updates disappearing act is apparently a known problem. Not sure about the score change. Seems illogical that it would change.
The ram being shown correctly in system properties is by design.

Yeah, the score change, maybe Microsoft is making progress with optimization? :smile:

Last edited:
I can say that i was able to upgrade to the refresh build. This is working with a Vista install with SP1 RC1 already slipstreamed into the install. So it is good news that you can do a direct upgrade from RC1 to the Refresh.

Have top restart to see if it took. but it says it installed successfully.

Maybe that is for those who installed the RC build from RTM. Remember i didnt do that. RC was already in my install. I didnt have to isntall it. Nor was there any option to remove it. :wink:

I understand that - I'm just wondering if perhaps there's a good reason it wouldn't overwrite a normal installation of SP1 RC as well....

I understand that - I'm just wondering if perhaps there's a good reason it wouldn't overwrite a normal installation of SP1 RC as well....

Well i should say that it install teh Windows Update for the refresh build number. It hasnt allowed me to get the actual SP. I go thte update with the number 17128 but other than that htere has been no more updates available for me to download. Along with that there is no update to my SP number in winver. So it could just be that it allowed me to download the updates not the actual SP itself.

Back