Vista Start Problem

alan

Hi

I am trying to repair a Vista starting problem for a friend. The error message is
File: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I have followed the instructions and downloaded the vista recovery disk torrent and burned to a CD using imgburn, after a few tries got it right.

Now using the disk to try to start the computer, it tries to boot from the cd and starts to load "Windows is loading files" the white strip showing progress, when it reaches the end, the computer just turns itself off. Is this indicative of some hardware failure or am I ding something wrong?

Alan

It sounds like there is a hardware error or maybe a burning error. At what speed did you burn the Vista Recovery Disk at? I would suggest trying it at 8x or 10x speed.

If you can get to the Repair screen as seen in the 2nd picture here, i would suggest trying to use a System Restore point.

What do you mean by turns itself off? Does it simply restart the system or does it completely shut off? Sounds like your machine may be overheating or even worse the motherboard is failing.

Take the cover off and make sure the CPU fan is spinning when you boot.
Jus is right, if you've got an overheating processor the BIOS is probably set to shut-down before you can get far enough to do anything.
If the fan's not moving, check the power lead is secure in the correct socket on the mobo. A new fan will cost very little if needed.

Last edited:
Back