vista start up failed...cannot get into Safemode!

have windows vista...system will NOT start up...device will not run/open...

how do i get into safemode please...:wtf: (...continously press F8 while restarting??)

thx anyone...
sincerely
braindead girl

Addendum:

cant get into safe mode either...see new thread w/ my results.
thank you

Last edited:
3 mos. old hp laptop...vista was already installed...was working great until today...

upon restarting ...it went into a Startup Repair mode for 30 mins...then says it cannot repair automatically

problem details:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
Problem Signature 03: 5
Problem Signature 04: 131073
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: CorruptRegistry
Problem Signature 07: 999
Problem Signature 08: 3
Problem Signature 09: RollbackRegistry
Problem Signature 10: 999
OS Version: 6.0.600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

P.S. CANNOT even get into SafeMode!

Please help.

THANK YOU

Addendum:

hp say hard drive has failed. sending new one. ugggg...

Last edited:
Did you make a copy of your Recovery Partition? So that you can use the Vista DVD to try and recover the OS at all?

Well if you can get into Safe Mode try and recover from there. If not then you only option will be to use a Knippox or other Live CD to back up your Data and format and install.

Okay this is a double posted thread. CG you will have to combine them.

But it doesnt sound like the HDD failed. I see a courrupt registry. Which can be recovery possibly with the Vista DVD. If you have Restore points on that is. Or even a backup made. Either way the HDD isnt failed if you can see these errors. Typical Help Desk support. Doesnt know jack. :wink:

It could have been a application install that corrupted teh Registry. McAffe or Norton have done this before. espically with their updates and since they are only trial software that come with PC's it could have been either of htem.

I haven't seen a corrupt registry message since the 9x days :smile:

btw, christinaaa0, please refrain from double-posting and linking to your thread for others' support threads. Thanks!

Well with Norton and McAfee making such a stink about not having Registry and Kernel access this is what happens. I have not seen that many of these. Maybe 2 out of all the systems i have worked on so far with Vista. But now that those 2 have Kernel access they haev destroyed it. Hence the corrupt registry. Their trial software when it expires can really cause damage.

idk what i did, but i put the install disk in for vista, and booted that and vista started perfect

before i receiving this error code:

Code:
0x00000124 (0x00006000, 0x83EE96E0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F) 

collecting disk for crash dumping...
initializing disk for crash dumping...

Last edited:
safe mode doesn't work...

I have done all the steps, but when i try to get into safe mode it does not boot into safe mode. it goes back into the error screen. is there any reason why this is happening??

- please reply, thanks :smile:

Hi Yegge, welcome to NST.
Can you be more specific.
What was your original problem, and what were "all the steps" you tried ?

Same problem

Hi, I am having a similar problem and am unable to fix it :frowning:

This is error code:

Problem Event Nam: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
Problem Signature 03: 6
Problem Signature 04: 720907
Problem Signature 05: CorruptRegistry
Problem Signature 06: CorruptRegistry
Problem Signature 07: 999
Problem Signature 08: 3
Problem Signature 09: RollbackRegistry
Problem Signature 10: 0
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

As with the others, I am also unable to get into safe mode.

Also, I am unable to boot from my Vista DVD. I put the disc in, but no option appears for me to load it from the dvd drive. Also I tried running from command prompt, but am unable to execute the LVSETUP.EXE file. gives some error saying "Error 0x80004005 while initializing CBS."

Anyone please help!

Hi Kven, welcome to NST.
You'll need to intercept the boot at the BIOS splash screen (the first thing you see when you power up).
There should be an instuction on it somewhere (top or bottom probably) saying "hit del to enter setup" or some such message. The key used might be one of the Function keys, or ctrl or anything else.
When you enter the BIOS setup, look for the "boot" option where you find one or more screens which determine in what order the BIOS looks for boot information.
You need to make sure that CD/DVD is set before HDD. It might refer to the CD as "optical drive" or it might be included in "removable devices".
Save the changes and exit the BIOS with the Vista DVD in the tray, and you'll know you succeeded when you see "hit any key to boot from CD".
Then follow the boot repair instructions in the wiki if you need to. Try the system restore option first from the booted DVD, to take you back before your registry got broken.

Last edited:
Hi Terry, Thanks for the pointers.
I checked the BIOS for the boot order, and the CD/DVD group was ahead of the HDD. So then, I switched the Vista with Windows 7 dvd I had. That gave the option to load from cd/dvd. Not sure why it is not working for the Vista DVD. Anyways, I downloaded the Windows Vista Recovery Disc and burnt that. That worked and allowed to run the same recovery options via the DVD. Unfortunately, that startuprepair gives the same error. And my system restore points have been mysteriously deleted as it says None were created on this computer. Says the same running it from the hard drive. So basically, I am still unable to boot to Vista either running any of recovery options from the DVD or or the HDD.

I will try to manually repair the bootloader in the link you gave me. Hopefully that will work, as I haven't been able to find any other options besides doing a complete recovery to factory conditions, which I absolutely don't want to do unless as a last option, which looks like might be the case. :angry:

Any other suggestions would be greatly appriciated, thanks!

If you need to factory reset (sometimes nothing else will do when the system gets really messed up), get yourself a free live distro of Linux (like this for example), burn it to a CD, boot it from the CD, select the "run without changing your computer" option and use it to rescue all of your user files, email, etc to external storage.
Then at least the reset won't be too painful, and you'll have the benefit of a nice fast system again.

Back