Vista start up repair failed?..

F8

Yeah, I've tried poking it repeatedly, fast and slow. It just doesn't go there anymore.

I ordered a recovery DVD from Dell, then downloaded WIN7 and installed that. I may just create the recovery DVD now from the partition, and then reload it from that. I still don't have all the drivers in the right place- a few of the Vista drivers didn't like 7.

But it runs right now... *fingers crossed*

I have a suspicion it didn't like being radiated at the airport, since all this started when I flew to Vegas with it. :wtf:

Same Old Song and Dance...

I have the same problem as the other people on this thread. (Vista system that refuses to load past the start up screen.) I'm 100% sure it was caused by a virus (as shown by the Internet windows that refused to close for anything :rage:). If I try to boot it normally, it gives me an error message "LogonUI.exe - Bad Image". I have tried safe mode, system restore (no backup points), boot fix (tells me that "System volume on disk is corrupt"), and starting from the previous succesful boot, which deleted a lot of files and returned some, but failed to fix the problem. I'd rather not do a complete system wipe, but I suppose I could if I needed to. Also, I may have a Vista Recovery CD, but I doubt it.

TIA!!!

Vista Startup Repair Failed

Okey, i'll just make it known that i dont know much when it comes to this sort of thing and as i just got vista it makes it even more confusing for me.

For some unknown reason, since yesterday morning when i turn on my laptop all i get is:

"windows failed to startup properly, a resent hardware or software change might be the cause." followed by some other stuff about running a diagnostic and the option to run a repair (recommended) or start windows normaly. If i try to start windows normaly then nothing happens, it appears to be loading and then nothing, i've left it for a while and the screen just stays blank.

When i try the repair it takes a few minutes checking and comes up with the following: "startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically."
Here's the problem signature i get:

problem event name: startup repair v2
problem signature 01: failover
problem signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
problem signature 03: 6
problem signature 04: 655370
problem signature 05: no root cause
problem signature 06: no root cause
problem signature 07: 0
problem signature 08: 2
problem signature 09: wrp repair
problem signature 10: 2
OS version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
local ID: 1033

I can also choose to view advanced options for system recovery and support which lets me do any of the following:
  • statup repair
  • system restore (no points set.. which i'm really regreting..)
  • windows complete pc restore (also no backups had been made yet)
  • windows memory diagnostic tool
  • command prompt
I still have a copy of windows vista if it's possible for me to reinstall that? When i try i get no responce from the drive so i dont know if i can run a command prompt to start thta or something?.. Well as you can see i hav no idea what i'm doing and any help or advice atall would be much apreciated as i dont feel like witing 5 months while i send it away to acer.

If there's any more info i can give you that might help you help me then i'll be more than glad to find it, thanks in advance for any help.

You can get more information from Vista Startup Repair. Run Startup Repair again and chck the log file. Then post it back to the forum. This site explains that the exact location of the file which was corrupt was given in the log:
vista startup repair can not repair this computer automatically
report your findings back ok!

7 Update

Someone suggested using the Windows Vista disc to fix the problem, my computer came with Windows preloaded, so I don't have the disc, will upgrading to Windows 7 fix the problem?

You my friend are a GENIOUS!!

My computer randomly shut itself off today and started doing the start-up repair in a loop 3 times and then would say it failed. I started in safe mode worked fine, however it would not chkdsk/f or chkdsk/r or do a system recovery (well it would say it did but it didn't do diddly squat) after reading this post i figured what do i have to lose? (other than all my files, pictures and anything else that is pretty much gone already). So far so good buddy! I am installing updates now then will create a new restore point and hope to hell this POS starts normal after all that!! I know nothing about computers and refuse to pay someone to fix it. Are Mac's any better because this is computer #5 in as many years with windows!!!

Hi Chaps,
This has worked for me.
I couldnt run any repair utilities, and googling for answers i came accross this post http://www.vistax64.com/740821-post10.html .
If your problem pc has multiple ram chips remove one. restart the pc and Vista loads normally. Update any system files through windows update and create a new restore point.

Remember to unplug the power and remove the battery before unplugging your ram :smile:

Addendum:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU! Did what you said, put ram back in restarted pick start normally an FANTASTIC! Works perfect! Thank you so much for help a computer illiterate fix her own problem!!!
My computer randomly shut itself off today and started doing the start-up repair in a loop 3 times and then would say it failed. I started in safe mode worked fine, however it would not chkdsk/f or chkdsk/r or do a system recovery (well it would say it did but it didn't do diddly squat) after reading this post i figured what do i have to lose? (other than all my files, pictures and anything else that is pretty much gone already). So far so good buddy! I am installing updates now then will create a new restore point and hope to hell this POS starts normal after all that!! I know nothing about computers and refuse to pay someone to fix it. Are Mac's any better because this is computer #5 in as many years with windows!!!

Last edited:
Neosmart Vista Recovery Won't start/Can't Boot/Can't Get F11 Recovery Manager start

I purchased the Vista 32-Bit recovery software and successfully downloaded to a CD. I inserted the CD, restarted HP Pavillion computer, went to Boot Menu, selecetd Boot from DVD Drive. The software did not activate. Still goes on to "Windows is Loading Files" then to Blue/Black screen. I have previously made dozens of attempt to open System Recovery (F11) but after pressing F11, goes and stays at Blue/Black Screen. Buy the way, I have no idea if my system is 32-Bit or 64-Bit so I chose 32 Bit. I was hoping to be able to post greatful testimonials like everyone esle but I am not there yet. What else can be done to get this to Boot?
Thanks

Well first thing to do would be to check your owners manual or online to see what version of Windows it is you have installed. Using the wrong software will not get you anywhere.

Plus this disk is only to help fix a boot issue, it doesnt do anything for activation. That is something completely different and cant be fixed by this disk. If your having activation issues and are locked out of the system for that reason, then nothing on our Recovery Disks will help you there. For that issue you will have to contact HP directly and find out why your serial is not activating and have them assign you a new one.

Back