Vista Start Up Repair Loop

Daynub

A few nights ago my computer froze up so I shut it down and brought it back up. It gave me two options to do a startup repair or to start normally. I did the startup repair only to have it tell me that it can not do a start up repair and give me this message.

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailOver
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
Problem Signature 03: 6
Problem Signature 04: 917518
Problem Signature 05: Failure During Setup
Problem Signature 06: Failure During Setup
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: unknown
Problem Signature 10: 1168
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

This computer has SP2, will not boot into safe mode, last known good config, shows no restore points (even though there was) and system restore will not work. This is a dell so I do not have a vista disk. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

May you use the Windows 7 DVD, which you used to install Windows 7, for to boot from it and use the Startup Repair function from the DVD. Its possible that some required files in your Installation are damaged or even files in the 100 MB hidden Recovery Partition.

Have you also try to start Windows 7 in Save Mode?

sorry for taking awhile to get back I can only answer at work. I actually wiped everything out on my computer and got vista to work that only problem is now I can not get vista to recognize my graphics card. The only thing showing in the device manager is standard vga graphics adapter. I have tried the latest nvidia drivers, the windows update drivers, and the nvidia drivers that came with my dell.

Everytime I install the drivers I try to restart to finalize the install and vista stops loading and does a startup repair which goes through but takes out the nvidia drivers. I am 90% sure the card is fine the fan is running and it was working fine before this.

Hi guys, I have a similar problem. My computer would automatically go to startup repair (even if I selected the normal startup). The startup repair fails and I go try system restore (there are restore points) however it says there is an error and the file can not be detected.....Need help! Here is the problem signature

Problem Even name: startup repairV2
prob. sign. 1: AutoFailover
prob. sign. 2: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
prob. sign. 3: 6
prob. sign. 4: 393219
prob. sign. 5: NoRootCause
prob. sign. 6: NoRootCause
prob. sign. 7: 0
prob. sign. 8: 2
prob. sign 9: WrpRepair
prob. sign 10: 2
OS Verision: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Check out support.dell.com > home section. Select your model or enter your service tag. Should have all the specific drivers for your system.

@ wagsoja - try chkdsk c: /r from the commmand prompt instead of startup repair.

I am trying to work on my friend's laptop, an Acer 5610Z with Vista Home Premium. It gives the option of repair with the repair CD (which she doesn't have and Acer said they no longer have), or starting in safe mode. It will not start in safe mode, just keep going back to the screen that say to use the repair CD. I downloaded the info recommended at http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/ but it will not work. Acer said she had to purchase a new OS. I ahve no idea what to do next to try to fix this. I'm not an expert by any means but I've fixed other issues with friends computers (mostly spyware issues) so I think I'm following the directions correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I have the product key for vista as it is on the bottom of her laptop. If I use my son's vista home premium CD (not sure if he had one but his laptop has vista home premium) would I be able to reinstall using his CD and the product key from my friend's laptop? If so, and her laptop happens to have a virus, would that damage my son's CD? I'm assuming if I do a complete reinstallation it wouldn't cause a problem. Thanks again!

Our CDs cannot be used to reinstall. But you can (legally, too) use your son's CD to install it, so long as you use the product key from your friends laptop, too.

You cannot infect that CD from her PC.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you for your help! I just discovered my son's Vista is 64 bit and my friend's laptop is 32 bit. I am assuming I cannot use his CD but am not sure? I need to check my other's son's laptop (yes I have MANY children! ) to see if his is 32 bit. When and if I use the recovery CD or reinstall the OS, I am not sure what I should do as their CD/DVD's were made from the Recovery Manager. Would it be the same procedure as when the manufacturers used to supply the CD's? Thank you so much, I am finding this a huge challenge and hope I can figure it out.

You won't be able to use an OEM CD generated from a recovery partition to reinstall on a different PC unless the make and model are identical.
The driver set will only include the specific hardware from the donor PC, and will be missing most of the necessary drivers for a different set of hardware.
If you can borrow a genuine MS Vista DVD, it will contain a generic set of drivers covering just about all hardware it can encounter and you can install from it using your own key (not the one on the DVD).
The key indicates which version of Vista to extract from the DVD (they're all on there)

Back