vista startup problems

Hello mel0526, welcome to NST

First thing to try is safe mode. As the computer is booting press F8 repeatedly until an advanced options boot menu appears. Select "Safe Mode" from there. If you can get into there, start typing "System Restore" in the search box of the start menu until it shows up and click on it. Restore the computer to a time prior to the update installing that caused problems.

Now if you can't get into safe mode, use your Vista DVD with the instructions stated here. You may also try system restore from that menu which may help.

Hello mel0526, welcome to NST

First thing to try is safe mode. As the computer is booting press F8 repeatedly until an advanced options boot menu appears. Select "Safe Mode" from there. If you can get into there, start typing "System Restore" in the search box of the start menu until it shows up and click on it. Restore the computer to a time prior to the update installing that caused problems.

Now if you can't get into safe mode, use your Vista DVD with the instructions stated here. You may also try system restore from that menu which may help.
F8 doesn't work...system restore from DVD doesn't work...startup repair doesn't work...I did all more than 3 times! I'm not even sure reinstall windows will work...the BCD file is missing but I don't know why! I don't have a back-up image and when I tried windows memory diagnostic it didn't work...command prompt work but I'm not able to bring back BCD file...:scared:

Get youself a live Linux distro like this one.
Burn it to a CD, boot it, and use it to rescue your user data to an external storage medium.
Then at least if you have to reinstall Vista, you will be able to resurrect your personal data.

Back