Vista System Protection not finding any drives

Sentient0ne

I'm trying to turn off system restore. When I pull up the system protection tab under system properties, the available disks shows "searching" and never comes up with any drives. What can I do to fix this?
Thanks!

I have this issue as well right now. I think it is a bug with the current updates that were issued. I will post in the newsgroups and see if there is a fix for this.

I've checked a lot of threads and haven't found anything about this anywhere. I'm currently running into major delays when I shutdown for the night. 8 hours later, it's still trying to do a windows update. It says not to turn off the computer, but I don't have access to my computer. So I've turned it off anyways with no apparent harm. Vista is getting to be a pain. I still haven't been able to figure out how to get all my previous programs on my old drive to work. It has XP on it and I can't get the drive to work on with the new hardware. I'm tempted to just install XP on the new drive, transfer everything off the old drive, do an install of Vista on a new partition and use the old drive for storage.
Let me know if you found anything about the system protection feature being disabled.
Thanks!

I just got an Acer laptop the other day it was working fine and this morning i tried to boot up and i got an error saying Windows failed to start. Recent hardware or software changed may be the cause. I have tried safe mode tried to repair it and i dont know what else to try.. any suggestions??

I've checked a lot of threads and haven't found anything about this anywhere. I'm currently running into major delays when I shutdown for the night. 8 hours later, it's still trying to do a windows update. It says not to turn off the computer, but I don't have access to my computer. So I've turned it off anyways with no apparent harm. Vista is getting to be a pain. I still haven't been able to figure out how to get all my previous programs on my old drive to work. It has XP on it and I can't get the drive to work on with the new hardware. I'm tempted to just install XP on the new drive, transfer everything off the old drive, do an install of Vista on a new partition and use the old drive for storage.
Let me know if you found anything about the system protection feature being disabled.
Thanks!
Okay as for your old XP isntall do a repair on it. That should solve the issue.

As for the system protection i still got nothing. No one has a answer in the newsgroups....

I just got an Acer laptop the other day it was working fine and this morning i tried to boot up and i got an error saying Windows failed to start. Recent hardware or software changed may be the cause. I have tried safe mode tried to repair it and i dont know what else to try.. any suggestions??

bman please try not to hijack every thread to get your problem solved. I already answered your question in the other thread you posted this in. Thank you and Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.:smile:

Addendum:

SentiantOne have you reset at all since you discovered this? Wierd enough i have and now i see all the drives in teh System Protection tab and have been able to modify the Restore Points. Can at least try it...

Last edited:
lol, i type like that at _____-hundred hours (any number from 0-23) if I haven't had my coffee!

Restart as in reboot the machine? Every time I reboot it tries to install some updates, and it just hangs there. I've had it try to install for 12 hours with no results.

As for the repair on the XP drive, I've tried, but it keeps on trying to find a file on the I: drive, which is one of the card readers on the new computer. I tell it to go to the DVD drive, but when I change the drive letter it does nothing and I can't continue with the repair.

I still have no access to system restore. I've had notification of updates from Windows, but when I start the update it tries to create a system restore point. It just sits there for hours. Do I need to do a Vista repair?

The Vista Updates are only sent out once a month. So if you got the updates on teh 8th of Jan then you wont see any again till the 2nd Tuesday of February.

Wait just re-read it and you say you got updates but ti just hangs when it tries to do a restore. Maybe turn restore points off see if it will update for you?

Sadly Vista doesnt have a repair function like XP did. So you would ahve to either a.) go back to factory defaults or b.) Format and fresh install.

Well then unless Mahmoud has some better answers there is nothing more i can think of. As i stated Vista does not have a repair function like XP did. You can run a chkdsk maybe that will fix something but doubtful.

Sorry i am out of ideas. Since you cant get to restore points there isnt much left i can say.

One thing I can think of off the top of my head is to boot from the Vista DVD, enter the recovery console, and use the System Restore option from there? Perhaps that one won't crash on you?

I found some more info on what probably happened to my system restore function. Here is a link to Microsoft that describes my problem and how it likely happened.

No restore points are available when you use Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 in a dual-boot configuration together with an earlier Windows operating system

I was working on a dual boot with Vista and XP. I couldn't get it to work and ended up canceling the whole thing.

So do you recommend playing around with the bitlocker feature at all? I haven't read much about it....yet!

Thanks!

Back