Vista took over my xp bootloader...

smithd132

Hi guys this is probably nothing new and i just havnt seen it in a forum before so here its goes...

I had installed a perfectly fine legit Windows XP home edition with sp2 on one of my harddrives working fine... then i decided to put vista on another harddrive but keep my windows xp on the other disk and when i started my pc i could just choose which one to boot into...

So anyway i've gorn and installed vista on a totally seperate harddrive from windows xp and bam theres no way of getting into windows xp it just boots straight into vista.....??..

so I suspected the bootloader.. then after clicking on many posts i come across easybcd.. now been a tech myself i've had to numerous times type fixmbr in the recovery console on xp but this time i find out its not that simple with vista because it could screw both vista and xp and leave me high and dry....

anyway i've run easy bcd added in the windows xp entry which is located on D drive, saved it gorn to restart... the bootloader comes up, gives me the 2 options, vista and xp... then i select xp, press enter, and it comes up with the error cannot find /ntldr

Then i was thinking shouldnt there be an option to change the path of where the xp kernal is so it knows where to boot from?????

but selecting vista from the bootloader works fine. its just really anoying i cannot access xp and i dont want to format it...

i've tryed different options in easybcd like making xp the default trying the xp bootloader.. but it still wont boot xp.. any help will be much appreciated....

Cheers

Back