Vista/Windows 7 official beta dual-boot issue

Hi, I'm certainly not an expert, but I'm wondering about this:
1. I have a Vista 64bit installation running on C:/ (physical hard drive)
2. I am a Windows 7 beta tester (along with everyone else and their dog!!) and I installed the Windows 7 official 7000 beta (64bit) on another drive, I:/ (a different physical drive)

I can cold boot into Vista, or restart into Vista, and all is well.
If I cold boot into Windows 7, I get the new loading animation but it just sits there.
If I boot into Vista, all is well, then I can restart and THEN if I pick Windows 7 in the boot loader, all is well, Windows 7 loads and works quite well. Really!

Any ideas why I can't just cold boot into Windows 7?

Here's the "View Settings" info:
-------------------
identifier {d904b1c2-bf0b-11dc-a3c2-c354023923f9}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {d904b1c3-bf0b-11dc-a3c2-c354023923f9}
nx OptIn
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {d3ec749f-df54-11dd-9eac-a4f5b23ecdb9}
device partition=I:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence {d3ec74a0-df54-11dd-9eac-a4f5b23ecdb9}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=I:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {d3ec749e-df54-11dd-9eac-a4f5b23ecdb9}
nx OptIn

Did you use EasyBCD to add the entry for Windows 7? Sounds like there is a error in the Windows 7 entry.

Moved to General support. Doesnt sound like a EasyBCD bug.

Coincidentally, I have Vista x64 on C: and Windows7 x64 on I: on a 2nd disk. (or vice versa depending on which one is booted)
I added W7 to the Vista BCD with EasyBCD (it didn't auto detect).
Both systems boot fine, warm or cold.
I also have XP x86 on D: (whatever OS is booted) sharing the Vista SATA disk. As a consequence of the existence of XP, I also use HnS to protect the Vista and W7 restore points.
This means there's a boot menu (HnS's) above the BCD's, but in the case of Vista or W7, (they are a single menu entry) it defaults to chaining to Vista's bootmgr where the choice between them is made. So although there's an extra program executed at boot just before bootmgr, it does nothing but pass control to bootmgr.
Logically therefore, your boot and mine (as regards the 2 OSs and the BCD) should be identical, and I don't see this problem.
Do you use hibernate or sleep ? (I've avoided both since ME, where it was guaranteed to break the system). Possibly W7 is having a problem trying to start in that area ?

Win 7 / Vista boot issue

Thanks so much for the reply!
It was a crazy day when I the W7 install, I THINK it just added itself to the Vista boot screen as the first choice.
I then installed Easy BCD and switched the entries so that Vista was first.
Would you suggest I remove the W7 entry, restart, and then add the W7 entry back in in EasyBCD?

Thanks,

Les

Addendum:

I also never use Hibernate or Sleep, these are BAD things!! I remember ME, it was on a new computer for about 1 day... then was circular filed. I still wonder, why wasn't that one huge lawsuit for us users??

Last edited:
It shouldn't make a difference. If the entry works for a warm restart it should work for a cold boot.

Do you have 4GB of RAM by any chance?

Not right now, just 3 Gb. This is a Core i7 system, and so far it's fine, but I need some chipset/mobo drivers for it (SM Bus Controller, System Interupt Controller showing up as needing drivers in Computer Management) , and I'd like to add some more ram. I'll work on the drivers tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Take out a stick of RAM and try. Most likely it won't make a difference, but just give it a shot?

Back