Vista won't boot

check in the bios , it should tell you what your hardrives are, if not look at the boot device order and see , if it sez IDE den its IDE if its sez SATA den its SATA

Hi chaldean1,

my hard disk is IDE, shows when entering bios,

and Guru, what does this show?

thanks for help,
tcy

If it's not a driver problem then it may be a corrupt disk issue.

Run
Code:
chkdsk /f C:
from the recovery console, and see what it tells you.

How should I reply you??

I just post what i think is important only...

4 KB in bad sector

and the last line

Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

But if the damage is in the blocks needed to boot and not in your user data, that would be the case.
Make use of your luck and backup all that user data to external storage, in case this ends in a reinstall.

yes Terry, that would me my last option T-T

but what is afraid is that after reinstall, if upgrade to SP1 again, same problem will occur

Vista should be free of errors after a clean install. Apply SP1 immediately after you get the 60 or so updates from Windows Update (SP1 won't appear in the list, so you'll haft to download it in order to install it).

If it's damage on the disk, once it's marked as such by chkdsk it won't be used again when you reinstall, so you won't get the same problem.
There's no hard problem with SP1, otherwise none of us would be here. (except maybe for what happened to me - an apparent hang at 99% complete - black screen - frozen keyboard, but I left it alone for 30 minutes because I could still see disk activity, and all was OK when I rebooted. Others have reacted at the same symptoms with an immediate reset and ended up with a broken system)

Back