Vista, XP and Suse

I tried and tried and tried the grub-install thing. No luck. I still get errors every time. I do not doubt your procedures, I doubt my knowledge of the application of the procedures. I read the SithToast thread, and am happy for him. It may also work for me if I could figure out how to get the grub-install thingy working. BTW, while in Mepis, I removed the entry in menu.lst as per your recommendation and did the reinstall of Linux into EasyBCD with no change.
Do you have any idea what a 40S&W from a Glock at close range will do to a PC? Me either; however, I am getting close to finding out.

Jerry in Anchorage

no, but i do know what a hammer can do (and has in the past done)... it ain't pretty.

I think that explains it thougH: you are booting to a live CD/DVD -> you're drive numbers change.
Let's assume while in the live CD your mepis root partition (like if you wanted to open the files in mepis from a live cd) is \mnt\sda2:

Code:
chroot \mnt\sda2\
grub-install --recheck "(hd0,1)"

chroot switches back to the original drive order (by specifying what the boot drive is), and then you use the original numbers.

I'm really confused, now. (More than normal.)

When in the live DVD, running Mepis, the Mepis disk is called hdc1.
So, would the cammand be \mnt\hdc1?

Then the command you wish me to issue would be
chroot \mnt\hdc1\
grub-install --recheck "(hd0,1)" Again, with or without Quotes & parantheses?

Jerry in Anchorage

Well, I'm in Mepis now running from the live DVD. I have attempted the commands menntioned in my previous post numerous times & am reqarded either with "You are an ignorant butt-head for trying that command in that fashion.", or some other error meaning the same thing. I noticed that when I mess around looking for things, that the listing for the drives are listed as /mnt/hdc1, and not your way of \mnt\hdc1. Which is correct? I don't think it matters cuz neither method works for me. If I do it like /mnt/hdc1, I get about a thousand "bash:/dev/null: permission denied" errors.

Got any hollow points?

Jerry in Anchorage

/mnt/hdc1 is correct

you have to do it as a super user

either
Code:
su
chroot /mnt/hdc1
or
Code:
sudo chroot /mnt/hdc1

I'm back in XP.
I have been logging into Mepis as root. (Yes, I'm aware that doing that (logging in as root) is very close to causing the end of civilization as it is currently known.) Do I still need to do the super user thing?
Jerry

no, not if you're root. and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. you're doing it in xp right now!

Code:
mkdir /mnt/mydir
mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/mydir
chroot /mnt/mydir
grub-install --recheck "(hd0,1)"

I tried, believe me, I tried.

I opened Konsole (don't have a clue if that was the right program to use.
Typed in the commands - exactly. On the third command, the prompt changed to something about not being a tty. That made me think that Konsole (terminal program)is not correct.
I found the "Run" command, & tried that - as best as I can tell, nothing happened.

I'm so POd that I must quit for tonight.

Is this stuff really this difficult?

I really apologize for the problems. Until I started this exercise, I felt pretty proficient with computers. I build them for friends, I can install software, and do pretty much anything except major networking with Windows. This Linux and command line stuff is just throwing me.

Thanks for your patience.

Jerry in Anchorage

Back