VISTA & XP Dual Boot Installation Problem

Flyboy

I have created a partition for the installation of XP on my Vista computer.

For some reason when trying to boot XP from the DVD drive it appears that the computer is trying to load the files onto my C:\ drive (i.e. on top of my Vista OS!).

I am never prompted for drive selection for XP installation and then am eventually faced with a FULL screen ERROR message.

Also, when trying to select 'Boot' from the EasyBCD software for the second (Windows) OS it changes back automatically to E:\ drive when I attempt to save this setting. I thought that this would force it boot from XP DVD?

ANY help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

FLYBOY

The reason it saves to the E:\ drive is acuse that is considered your boot drive. If you have never been prompted to select a destination or anything on your XP isntall then the disc used is not a retail or OEM disc but a custom made disc.

More INFO.

[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']Thanks for your reply.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']The XP is a genuine OEM DVD - I bought it especially.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']Since my first posting, I have tried to boot from it on another (XP) computer and it seems to work OK so it must be a problem with the Vista desktop hardware / configuration, etc.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']Below (blue italic) is the exact text of the full screen error message that I get half-way through the boot up on Vista machine.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']Any more thoughts or advice?[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']If this is the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']these steps:[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Unicode MS','sans-serif']restart your computer.[/FONT]

Technical Information

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, OxC0000034, 0x000000, 0x000000)

Hi Flyboy, welcome to NST.

According to MS @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103, this problem can be caused by either a device driver issue or a bootsector virus.

On that page it explains in detail what could have gone wrong, and explicitly cites examples of where this error is seen during Windows XP setup. do any of their suggestions help alleviate your problem?

Back