Vista/XP Dual Boot Problem

Hi,

Im new to this whole dual boot os, I was recommended to use EasyBCD 1.7.1, ive got the following installed:

c: = Windows Vista
g: = Windows xp

This is a similar problem to the one just posted above, When i installed EasyBCD i added the entity and when selecting "Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3" from the drop down menu the drives becomes disabled(cannot select a drive, it defaults to c:smile:, i added an entry Windows XP and got around the drive selection by going to change settings and selecting the correct drive for windows xp (g:smile:. Now when i reboot my laptop i get the 2 menus for windows vista and windows xp.

Vista works fine,

when selecting xp i get the following error:
"Invalid Boot.ini file
Booting from G:\"

i realy dont understand what to do next? can someone please give me some advice or a step to step guide on a solution to this.

the details on EasyBCD are:

"
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {f602e551-befa-11dc-b0cb-0016417b755f}
Drive: G:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR
"
Thanks
Vishal

Hi Sorry I'm probably just being a complete pillock. But what do you mean by 'the root of the drive' I tried looking at the troubleshooting page but to no avail. Is there a specific folder that these files have to be put into? Also where can i find the boot.ini file in the xp disk?

Thanks in advance

penguin.jpg

EP :x

Last edited:
Hi Penguin
The root is C:\
No folders - right there after the slash

Addendum:

Skypix,
Vista 64 and XP 32 dual-boot fine together without even interfering with each-other's recovery points on my PC - thanks largely to EasyBCD.
I think your problem might be too much RAM for XP (or is that 64 bit too)
You could try dropping down to 3Gb temporarily to see if that allows both to boot.

I take it you have followed the instructions in the wiki to repair the MBR after installing the second OS ?

Last edited:
Thanks Terry and Makaveli213 now messaging you from XP! needed to re-install XP, copy over the files and bizarrely Easy BSD didn't work in my xp, had to do a manual repair of the MDR using the Vista install disk then use it from Vista. Thanks for your help!

EP

Hi Penguin,
glad you're sorted now - If you want the .NET 2.0 framework to get EasyBCD and iReboot working on XP, you find it in Windows Update /Custom. (about a 30Mb download from memory)
You'll find iReboot useful if you're Dual Booting regularly
Beware also of the fact that XP will corrupt your Vista Recovery Points. Nothing you can do in XP will prevent it, but NeoSmart to the rescue, you can solve the problem with info you'll find here in this forum.
Check my first post here last year
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1186
where Guru solved the problem for me
It contains links to all you need to know.
A forum search for iReboot will tell you all about that too - a useful extra when you've got everything else sorted.

Last edited:
Back