Vista/XP dual boot

mase

Hi, I am new to the forum but, the problem I have seems pretty common and not new.

I just got a new laptop with pre-installed Vista. I decided to dual boot with Xp.

1). booted from Gparted

2).got some sort of error used chkdsk /f

3). got my partions

I figure, like many others, I shutdown Vista, then installed Xp(was this a mistake?)

Now I have Xp and a corrupt vista bootloader(MBR or so)

I tried EasyBCD before finding this forum.

I think there is something I need to know, and therefore need help.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
You need to install EasyBCD in XP, go to the bootloader management tab, and press reinstall vista bootloader.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
topic moved

mase

Thanx Guru,
After Re-installing Vista bootloader in EasyBCD(from Xp), I get a black screen at boot(Windows Boot Manager), that I have a corrupt boot. Cool I still have the option to select which OS after that, then I get back to Xp.
Is there anything else I could look at, like, EasyMBR or so?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Is that when you try to boot from Vista that you get that error message? or always?

mase

Oh well, I twicked the EasyBCD Boot configuration and I was able to boot into Vista. Guess what. Now I can't boot in to Xp. And I get the same error that I got when booted in to Xp.

Also I get Error when I start EasyBCD(can not automatically detect the Letter of my boot device )
Does this mean I set my boot configurations wrong?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Yeah.

To fix it go to the diagnostics screen and select "Reset BCD data"

mase

Oh. Now it's working. I had to assign the same drive letter to both OS's in Bootloader configurations(EasyBCD). I had also manually added the other operating system the boot.ini file. I noticed after opening both boot.ini files that, even though they show different drive letters, they have the same content.
Well, I removed the other OS from the file and assigned the vista partion to the vista boot.ini

Vista is also not not running as smooth as before. I had to report some errors.

Never the less, they are botth bootable now. Yay

One more thing, how do I get internet to work on the xp partition

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I don't think that has anything to do with the dual-boot problem you experienced, internet/networking is an entirely different issue.
If you need help with that, please start a thread in the "Legacy Windows" forum.

Anyway, glad you got the dual-boot going :smile: