Vista - XP - Storage Problems

BruteMan

Here is what i have at this point

Using a acer Desktop that came with a 500mb Drive it has a hidden partition containing the recovery information. Default the remaining of the 500gb drive had 2 partitions #2 was vista and C: in vista and a storage Drive D: splitting ruffly 235 mb each so from the get go i have partitions 0 = hidden recovery 1= Vista 2=storage

OK so i used gparted first to resize the vista partition to 150Gb add a partition #3 for XP 150Gb and rezise the remaining leftover into Partition #2 Storage.

also in Gparted when i was perpaired to install XP i hid all the other partitions from XP so XP would install and think it is Drive C: so i made partition #3 XP Boot

everything worked like a charm up to tring to go between XP and vista to get the final steps of the bootloader installed flipping back and forth in Gparted i can switch the boot flag to XP and boot into XP just fine but something happened in my last stage going back to Vista with the boot flag on it the bootloader loads and has a error: asking for the vista disk (of which i do not have everything is on the recovery partition.

now i do not want to mess this up and loose all data in either of the OS's i can flip back to XP and flag its partition boot and boot into XP just fine. Can i use BCD to fix the vista boot records from XP if XP is flagged as the boot partition at this point? I can see the Vista drives in XP now that they are all unhidden and orginized drive leeters the way i want in XP (XP is C: vista Drive is D: and storage is E:smile:

so going to the fix vista MBR in the BCD will it fix the MBR on the flagged partition for boot or will it fix the drive D: vista drive i want it to boot off of?

Addendum:

Current BCD data with boot loader broken when i change the boot flag in Gparted back to the vista Partition

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=D:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
displayorder {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
{087f91c4-aca1-11dc-b149-0019212ef6df}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 5
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
nx OptOut
Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {087f91c4-aca1-11dc-b149-0019212ef6df}
device partition=C:
path \NTLDR
description Windows XP

Last edited:
I did get it working i had followed the other post on where he copied the Vista bootloader to the XP drive and left the XP partition as the boot partition. my only problem is what happens if i decide to kill the XP partition and go back to the orginal Vista partition is there some way i can fix the bootloader on the Vista Partition without making the vista Partition flagged as "active" or Boot?

No, but if you no longer have an XP partition, why would the Vista partition being marked as "Boot" be a problem?

No, but if you no longer have an XP partition, why would the Vista partition being marked as "Boot" be a problem?

due to as i mentioned above in flipping back and forth the boot loader i initially installed when i had the vista partition as boot is corrupt and i cannot fix it with a vista disk as its one of those hidden partitions on the acer machine. really just need to restore a vista MBR on the vista partition somehow. not worried at this point as it is working now but troubles me as i planed to use the XP as a throwaway and reinstall image often and Id rather have the MBR and boot loader on the vista partition but the only access i have at the moment is with the boot partition set on the XP partition if i flip back to the vista one it just gives me a crash error and asks to have the disk installed to repair.

Back