Vista\XP\Ubuntu Tri-Boot, Ubuntu\Grub Prob

I am triple booting Vista\XP\Ubuntu 6.10 with EasyBCD 1.5.2. I installed in the order: Vista, XP, Ubuntu; then did the bootsect fix to transfer booting to Vista's bootloader. Vista and XP load from the bootloader, but Ubuntu hangs on a black screen with GRUB in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I installed Grub to (hd1,1). My EasyBCD linux entry uses Disk 1 Partition 2. My setup has two hard disks...

DISK #1 - 160 GB
Partition 1: Vista (160GB ntfs)

DISK #2 - 40 GB
Partition 1: XP (18GB ntfs)
Partition 2: Ubuntu root (18GB ext3)
Partition 3: swap (~1.25GB linux-swap)

I already tried NeoGrub and it goes black for a few seconds then goes back to Vista's bootloader. Here is the menu.lst that I used:

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/hdb2 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
quiet
savedefault
boot

Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks.

Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies, Dolphin King.

You have a lot of needed stuff in the neogrub file, try something simpler, like
Code:
title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic 
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic ro root=/dev/hdb2
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic

No, still just a black screen and then back to the Vista bootloader. I tried what you wrote and many other similar options. How come the normal non-NeoGrub entry does not work?

that's what i did. i put grub on the bootsector, not the mbr, but all i get is "GRUB _" in the upper left hand corner. i installed grub to /dev/hdb1. i repartioned my 2nd disk. my current status is...

DISK #1 - 160 GB

DISK #2 - 40 GB
Partition 1: Ubuntu root (25GB ext3)
Partition 2: swap (~1.25GB linux-swap)
Partition 3: XP (11GB ntfs)

Oh!
When you repartition, you have to reinstall GRUB.
So if you repartitioned after you installed GRUB.....

d0lph1nK1ng said:
that's what i did. i put grub on the bootsector, not the mbr, but all i get is "GRUB _" in the upper left hand corner. i installed grub to /dev/hdb1. i repartioned my 2nd disk. my current status is...

DISK #1 - 160 GB

DISK #2 - 40 GB
Partition 1: Ubuntu root (25GB ext3)
Partition 2: swap (~1.25GB linux-swap)
Partition 3: XP (11GB ntfs)
d0lph1nK1ng,

I had a very similar problem, and almost the same system config you have. My config is:

Disk 1 - 300gb SATA Raid
Partition 1: XP
Partition 2: Vista

Disk 2 - 40gb
Partition 1: /root
Partition 2: /swap
Partition 3: logical volume (Fedora thing)
Partition 4: Fat partition to share data with Vista and XP

Needless to say, after about 3 weeks of trying to get the Vista Boot Manager to boot Linux on a separate hard drive, I'm still trying. Instead, I have grub set up to boot between Linux and the Windows Boot Manager. During my research, including reading many threads posted in these forums, we are not alone. Below are links to threads I posted listing my problems, and a separate thread that lists my grub.lst file.

http://neosmart.net/forums/index.php?gettopic=340
http://neosmart.net/forums/index.php?gettopic=374

I haven't given up, I'm just using this as a fix until I figure out a way to get the Vista Boot Manager to boot my other hard drive. If you figure it out before me, please post your solution :smile:

I made it work by extractimg the mbr from my Ubuntu partition with Bootpart26 , freeware by the maker of Winimage. I renamed the image to nst_grub.mbr and put it in my nst folder deleting the existing nst_grub.mbr. Linux now boots from the Vista bootloader. Before doing this I tried every combination of disk and partition numbers and all I ever got was the GRUB_ with flashing cursor. Hope this helps.

Mike

Hello Diligaf,

Yeah, we're aware of such a problem under certain circumstances. EasyBCD 1.6 has now uses the same detection engine as bootpart26.
Would you be willing to test out a copy and let us know if it works for you?

Thanks!

Computer Guru said:
Hello Diligaf,

Yeah, we're aware of such a problem under certain circumstances. EasyBCD 1.6 has now uses the same detection engine as bootpart26.
Would you be willing to test out a copy and let us know if it works for you?

Thanks!
I wouldn't mind testing 1.6 out... if it gets linux working fine with vista I am all for it.

I am having this same problem. I have gotten around this issue by installing Grub on a flash drive and booting either Vista or Linux with that. Annoying.. but it does work.

Computer Guru said:
lol, no worries, you can put it on our tab :tongueout:

we owe you one for next time :grinning:
Oh well, you linked my little HowTo on the Ubuntu forums on how to do it with bootpart in your wiki. So now I'll just wait for the fame and fortune to roll in :wink:

Back