W10 > W7 Roll Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles I think I got same problem. I have a lenova and when I was asked everyday by MS to upgrade to windows 10 I refused. I was very happy with my pre-installed win 7 gome premium. One day it started downloading windows 10 without my knowledge or I missed it but I couldnt stop it. It began installing after the dowenload and I had to sit helplessy and watch . It got to 95% finished and stopped with an error, the only thing is it didnt re-install my pre-installed windows 7. So I cant system recover or do much of anything on what I guess is what was left of puter without windows. I I purchased the recover windows disk but it is not helping one bit and am asking for refund. Microsoft says its a lenova issue and lenovo says MS sis responsible. I really had high hopes when I read about thewindow recovery disk I just purchased but I am again heart broke over my computer.

Sadly the recovery disk is only for repairing the existing OS not recovering after W7 HPrem has been overwritten with W10. The best way to recover is to see if you can access your files on your disk by taking it out of the machine and connecting to it via a disk caddy on another computer. Once you have all your files off the disk, you can rebuild it with a new copy of W7. Unfortunately, if you do 'the right thing' and use auto update in Windows, it will download 13GB of W10 files without asking. There are various well documented ways of stopping it, on the web. I'm still running W7 on all my machines. One other possible way is to get a new disk for the Lenovo and put a new version of W7 on it -- there are some free downloads on the web. You could use it as an opportunity to upgrade to a Solid State Disk. You could then get a disk caddy (from Amazon or similar) to download your files from your old disk -- it makes the old disk look like an external hard drive to your new machine, so you can access your files and folders without going via the operating system -- the W10 upgrade should not have compromised your data file (word docs, images etc.). It takes a while -- half a day or so, if you're learning as you are doing it, but there doesn't seem to be any other way round it.

You are posting to an ancient thread. EasyRE is oinly there to help recover the boot process - it isn't a system disk. To recover Windows 7 there is the Windows own recovery option: Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10
In any case all EasyRE questions must go to support via email as per this post: Forum Closed: Send EasyRE support requests to EasyRE@NeoSmart.net

The whole point of this thread is that that 'option' doesn't work if your C drive is moderately full -- if there is not twice the size of Windows.old available on C: the W10 upgrade doesn't give you the Roll Back button and there is nothing you can do, as your machine is effectively 'bricked' if the W10 upgrade errors out. And there is no way of manually recovering from Windows.old. The W10 upgrade is great if it works, but a nightmare if it doesn't.

Take Microsoft to court, others have.
There were plenty of warnings and the web was full of hints on which updates to refuse in order to prevent the upgrade from happening.
Of course not everyone combs the internet for such info as I do and I realise some are/were very unfortunately caught off guard.
As I said earlier, all EasyRE support is via email. You can also get a refund if within 30 days of purchase.

Take Microsoft to court, others have.
There were plenty of warnings and the web was full of hints on which updates to refuse in order to prevent the upgrade from happening.
Of course not everyone combs the internet for such info as I do and I realise some are/were very unfortunately caught off guard.
As I said earlier, all EasyRE support is via email. You can also get a refund if within 30 days of purchase.

I guess my problem is with the hypocrisy of Mshaft -- before the first adverse instances of the W10 upgrade, Jo Public didn't have clue of the potential catastrophe that was about to happen to them. Everything was presented as the 'best thing since sliced bread', it was 'FREE' and you could roll back easily if you didn't like it, but for many people this was very far from what actually happened.

In my professional IT days the last thing we would recommend was to take Release 1 of anything and this was effectively what people were doing in accepting the 'free' upgrade. Good old Mshaft were very economical with the truth and there were virtually no 'upgrade' instructions or notes, apart from 'sit back and let it happen'.

W10 is finally OK, but there are still lots of things that don't work to spec, but sadly we have to deal with it, as it's the 'way of the future' for Msoft based systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back