Was Working Now Xp Will Not Boot

Hi and thanks for this most excellent software, unfortunately I have managed to cross thread , read screw up, my XP partition. After using the program for months and using Vista as my default OS I finally got so tired of Vista's quirks especially how slow it can be vs. XP that I decided to make XP my default OS and have spent countless hours attempting to get XP to work at all ever since. I have read the troubleshooting guide and triple checked what I can. MY XP Pro SP2 disk is an oem so I have dl'd a copy of XP Pro SP2 and tried the repair but that didn't work either. Am in the process of creating a a slipstreamed SP3 for 1 last go round but I may have to re-install XP, could be worse as I have a True Image and can save my documents but will need to reload programs etc. Some assistance would be most appreciated.

TIA

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello, welcome to NST

Startup repair Vista
Get EasyBCD, beta available [thread=642]here[/thread] that'll autoconfigure if you want to re-add XP's entry or the existing doesn't work.
Bootloader management -> Default OS -> XP entry -> Save

Thanks for responding but the problem appears to be much deeper than that as I had tried those long ago w/ no joy. At this point I think a clean install of XP is probably my only solution.

Addendum:

At this time I get ....\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install .....

I have also tried going into the repair console to rebuild the bootcfg but no Windows OS was found. Its pretty weird cause I had saved a copy of the XP partition, admittedly after it wouldn't boot and restored it a few times w/ varying results which have gotten worse to this point even though the files restored are the same each time.

Last edited:

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Why have you downloaded a copy of XP when you have the OEM version ?
Can't you just do a "repair install" of XP in place. That will leave all your apps and data intact.

Ok so I've been delving ever deeper, dangerous territory, and read a post pertaining to Ubantu and bootgrabber.exe crash. I have been getting the msg bootgrabber has stopped working for at least the last several times that I have tried fixing this problem. Tried the utility but all I get is:
BootGrabber utility.
Copyright............

and then:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: BootGrabber.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 49972f0f
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000659c3
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 3a74
Additional Information 2: baa8e3d84403fcbe6d7c8a2d034d3fa5
Additional Information 3: 0fc5
Additional Information 4: 77b6891095403afb6567fb62ca100acd

Read our privacy statement:
Microsoft Online Crash Analysis

Addendum:

Why have you downloaded a copy of XP when you have the OEM version ?
Can't you just do a "repair install" of XP in place. That will leave all your apps and data intact.
Perhaps I miss-stated I have the stupid Product Recovery CD's Originally the PC came w/ Vista but my love/hate relationship w/ Vista was more and more becoming a hate relationship so I contacted Lenovo and $45 later they sent me the above cited disks. So I tried to dl a copy of XP, not really piracy as I have a valid key for it, to run the repair utility but that didn't work and things get further and further and deeper and deeper!

Addendum:

Well, after reading the posts re. Vista screwing w/ partition numbering and comparing various partition lists I decided to change the Boot.ini from 3 to 2 and got into safe mode, Yahoo!!!!!!, which then allowed me to unpack the MS KB blah, blah that allows dual booting and I'm :??:??:??:??:??:??:??:?? :booyah:

Last edited: