Website Help

OmarkH

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on something. My father is retired is looking to set up a website. He's not exactly the best with this kind of thing and I'm too busy to do it all for him. Since he'd be doing most of it himself I'd like to use something pretty novice-friendly. I saw http://website.1and1.com/ recently and thought that might do the trick. that way I can keep an eye on him, maybe help out a couple of times a week. But leave him to his own devices. Have any of you had something similar?

Thanks for reading.

I once had my own website on Invision Free but that was so long ago that I can't remember most of it. It wasn't exactly simply to do. The website itself needed all kinds of 'fixes & patches' to get the functionality I needed plus I had to pay for a domain name - Yahoo (I think) and keep paying for that until I gave it up, not to mention having to arrange domain name forwarding so as to use my own forums name rather than one with 'Invision' in it etc. etc. There was quite a lot to think about.

You'd be best off asking on forums dedicated to forum building I would have thought.

Last edited:
What kind of website? There are just as many different website as there are people in the world. Saying you want to build one but not give any info doesnt help you get any answers. We need to know what the basis is.

Blog
Forum
Picture
Social
Informational

Those are just some of the popular ones today. So give a hint what you want and maybe we can give a hint what direction you should go.

I'd recommend getting him a site on wordpress.com

It's very easy to use, secure, and customizable. You can use it as-is or spend as much time/effort/money customizing it as you'd like.

But, like Peter says, that all depends on what kind of site you're looking for.

I'd recommend getting him a site on wordpress.com

It's very easy to use, secure, and customizable. You can use it as-is or spend as much time/effort/money customizing it as you'd like.

But, like Peter says, that all depends on what kind of site you're looking for.

I'll take a look into that, just worried it'll be a bit much for him. This is a man who has recently learned how to email :tongueout:

Then in all honesty, why is he trying to create a website? If he barely knows the basics to the internet and only recently learned to email, trying to run a website is like jumping into the ocean in a concrete casket which was dropped into the Mariana Trench. He needs to learn quite a bit more before he should attempt to setup a whole website and run it to protect it. As you said, you dont have the time to do it for him. So it would be best if he took the time to find out what running a website is really about. It isnt just about posting content, but preventing spam, keeping yourself clean with SEO so the site can be found and much more.

Sure sites like 1and1 or godaddy or hostgator have the options to get a site off the ground and even some support for when things go wrong. But at the same time they are not going to sit there and hold his hand either. They do have other customers to support and are not going to teach him everything he needs to know about running a website.

If trying something as simple as using Wordpress is too much, which is by far the easiest thing out there right now, then I would highly suggest you get him to take some classes first. As anything else is ultimately going to fall into your lap and put you under stress.

I agree with all you guys. Don't just jump right into making a site if you don't know how to the basics (and do them well at that). Hope Omar found what he was looking for.

I was having a look at the 1and1 site just to refresh my self on their services (I used them a while back while working abroad in the UK) and I don't know if I just didn't realize then, but I've noticed they now do packages (for example this page has pesonal and pro packages: Make your own website with 11). I don't know if it's a new thing or not. I haven't come across many other companies that do this, but maybe it's just because I haven't looked for packages.

Does anyone have any experience with them? I've obviously never used one but it could be interesting to try something like this out.

Back