website

Kahai

Distinguished Member
so i am on my way ^__^

first step has been taken: (see first image)

i also grabbed the Aetharn.net domain was i was there (lol)

so now

i have looked into lunarpages, but they are too expensive for me (i need cheap monthly or free hosting) i am budgetting myself to $15 a month or less would be nice (and actual monthly payments, i cant make a payment for one year... (that is the problem with lunarpages...))

so any advice on a good free host???

right now, i have the domains on 150m.com

but from what i see on http://www.aetharn.com that it is still parked at godaddy..

---

and i just downloaded the iso for microsoft expression 2 ^__^ yay msdnaa (or whatever)

----

so i have added one page, with 150m's stuff: Donald's Site hopefully that should start working soon and not be parked... :frowning:

so it would seem im going with google apps atm

i am still waiting on a 1/2 hr ttl for verification lol but i have to go to work now

ttyl

hope its workings

Attachments

• whois.JPG
    whois.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Still parked from here...

Congrats on taking the first step to setting up your own site, though!

Doteasy offers free hosting but also paid hosting up to $20.00/mth, depending on what you want.

Free Web Hosting and Domain Name Registration Services by Doteasy.com

BTW I'm going to be posting my revamped site here soon, still a few things to work out.

Major problem right now is using images for lists. I've tried everything.

If I do it normally, when site uploaded the images are not seen, just the standard bullets.

Tried in CSS (as background), which technically should work, but since I have a nav or menu bar I can't as the bullets show up there as well.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
mwahhhhhhh, <big kiss>

THX, I think this might be what I've been searching for. Took a quick look, and it might just solve my problem.

Hmm thanks for that article. I've been using w3schools to get into web design on the side (had a class on it but we never go into coding). Its a pretty good site but that article looks a lot more detailed in regard to creating lists in html and having more control over them.

thanks, ^__^

yeah i noticed that it was still parked :frowning:

stupid google... i added the cname for the google apps thing, to verify, and yesterday i was waiting for TTL for the cname to become active... my friend said google will take care of all the dns stuff... but so far, the nameservers are still godaddy's :frowning:

... i try doteasy now ^__^

Addendum:

doteasy... requires me to transfer my domain name... for a fee... i will not...

Addendum:

agh... stupid "up to 48 hours" :frowning:

Addendum:

so tell me what this shows anyone: Aetharn ‎(Aetharn‎)

Addendum:

i am very much so considering lunarpages, i got a coupon from them yesterday after starting a order, but not finishing it lol

so $50 off the fee, which turns 118, into 68. which is do able.

so that one payment would be for the full 24 months right? CG you know about lunarpages. lol

it just wont be for a couple weeks... i need a couple more paychecks first... :frowning:

and i have my first phone bill next month... which is the big one you get at first... so that a 100 dollars or so gone :frowning: .... lol YAY money!

Last edited:
okaydokay ^__^ in a couple of weeks ill do it, i need to save up as much money as possible right now lol

yeah and i hope this winter special is still around by the time i have money lol

but for now, google will work, but when??? they havent messed with the dns, like my friend said they would do... (but i have my email working through google: kahai@aetharn.com ^__^ )

Addendum:

Ætharn ‎(Ætharn‎)

so far what i have ^__^

not much at all lol but it will get there ^_^

Last edited:
This is the guide I used to design all menus and lists on NST:
A List Apart: Articles: CSS Design: Taming Lists

THX again CG using this article worked for setting up bullet images for my lists. :joy:

Site almost done, and should have it up soon.

Have a question though, it is a business site. However, if I post it here, I'm not looking for any business, all I will be looking for is feedback on the site.

So the question is, can I post it here? If I can post it here, there will be no contact info on it.

Kahai

Sorry about doteasy, I used it years ago and was happy with them at that time. Didn't know about having to transfer your domain name.

Its up!! and with a full real host!!

Ætharn

Addendum:

Frames!!

why are there two sets of frames???

http:///www.aetharn.net ???

heres the source code:
Code:
<html>

<head>
<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title>Home</title>
</head>

<frameset rows="64,*">
	<frame name="banner" noresize="noresize" scrolling="no" target="contents" src="banner.html">
	<frameset cols="150,*">
		<frame name="contents" noresize="noresize" target="main" src="menu1.html">
		<frame name="main" noresize="noresize" src="home.html">
	</frameset>
	<noframes>
	<body>

<p>This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them.</p>

</body>
	</noframes>
</frameset>

</html>

Addendum:

So advised by a friend and a nice little page about the eviliness of frames, i have removed them ^__^ lol

they were there for like 8 minutes lol

Last edited:
Looks fine to me.... took out the atributes and meta when I tried it. Tried it in IE. What browser you using? Perhaps some attribute there is causing it?

Last edited:
Just registered at the forum. :smile: But how do I make a post in the Welcome section? I guess you must not have implemented that feature yet.

Its looking good so far. Keep up the good work! :grinning:

-Coolname007

Finally I've got my website up. Took a bit longer than I thought, kept making changes here and there etc.

Anyway, my business is a Virtual Assistant business, however,
I've taken a different approach to the usual Virtual Assistant websites, and gotten rid of the same old blah, blah etc. You can find it here http://www.myofficemedic.com/

I'm specifically looking for feedback on

• the overall look and feel
  • is it easy to read, i.e. clear and concise
  • what do you think about the content
and any other comments you want to make

Thanks

Overall look and feel:

Looks great

Is it easy to read:

Yes. The added bonus of a navbar that increases in size when you focus on it for easiwer readability is a good feature to have.

Content:

It is focused as it should be towards the business.

Comments:

Overall it looks production ready. The repetitive use of questions to the visitor at the top of the home page is a little annoying though. I would just stick to summarizing what services the company provides or follow each question immediately with the service the company provides that will address it. (ie. you ask all your questions at the top and than go into explaining. You should put the explainations with the questions). "More than just a bandaid solution" is great, but it shouldn't be repeated from page to page. If you'd rather use it as a slogan, it should be in the banner of the site.

You might also what to provide a contact form on the contact page, rather than providing xxx email. The number's fine though as the client will want to call to confirm your company's services to thier needs.

Thx for your feedback Justin

The repetitive use of questions to the visitor at the top of the home page is a little annoying though. I would just stick to summarizing what services the company provides or follow each question immediately with the service the company provides that will address it. (ie. you ask all your questions at the top and than go into explaining. You should put the explainations with the questions).

Okay, this part may be hard to understand for some, but those questions are a play on words and are an important part of the selling process.

To try to get you to understand – Office Medic is the name of my business, using the play on words is associating running a small business with medical terms or pain and stress words

The questions are intended not only as a pun, (play on words), but also to get the reader to “feel” the pain of being overworked and stressed from running a small business without proper help.

Those who have looked at my site and understand the play on words think that part is a great idea and asset. So I’m leaving it the way it is.

"More than just a bandaid solution" is great, but it shouldn't be repeated from page to page. If you'd rather use it as a slogan, it should be in the banner of the site.
You are right about that, but not in the header, my trigger is already in the header. The USP needs to be in the site, but somewhere else, just not sure where right now.

You might also what to provide a contact form on the contact page, rather than providing xxx email. The number's fine though as the client will want to call to confirm your company's services to thier needs.
All the text there right now is just a filler, I've been working on a form for the site. However, it has been nothing but a nightmare!

Creating the form is not a problem. However, trying to get it set up to work has been a major pain in the butt! (for me at least) I am not a programmer, I don't write script, etc. etc. I've searched the net for info, but either all you get is a form with no script, or a form with script but no instructions on where to place the script. Some do provide that info, but for whatever reason, it just doesn't work.

I've been working on this on and off for over a week now and getting knowhere fast!

I'm ready to pull my hairout. Why does it have to be so difficult to get info on how to set up a simple contact form.

Ok so the questions are keepers, thats fine. But shouldn't they be next to the descriptions that are there to address them instead of seperated at the bottom of the page? Being a potential customer, I'd want to read the sites contents in a linear format, not having to scroll back up the page and than down again to see which question addresses which description.

If you're good with html, you can use basic controls such as submit button on your form, though being a noob to it myself i'm not sure how you'd tie it all into a database or forward it to an e-mail box.

Back