What I think but would like a confirmation

Grippy

I installed a SSD and using partiton wizard attempted to clone my Win 7 to the SSD. I did. The SSD would not boot. I plugged the original win 7 disc in and the system booted off of the original install. I finalgeld things and got the sytem to boot off the SSD but only with the origianl disk hooked up.

In BCD I set the SSD win 7 to be the boot and it is. I am looking at BCD and in the options I see where drive m: is the boot drive. I think Win 7 intalls necesaary files in a place other than the c: drive. If that assumption is correct do I need to tell Win 7 SSD where those files are and can I do that in this screen by fixing the MBR.

bcd.jpg

I may be talking thru my hat but I do need advice. Thanks

EasyBCD | BCD Backup/Repair | Change Boot Drive

Pick the SSD from the drop-down and you'll be good to go.

The BCD uses UIDs to locate Vista/7. They are a combination of the unique device signature and the starting block position of the partition on that device.
The letter you see in EasyBCD is a translation of that information into an intelligible format.
When you clone Vista/7, the unique device sig of the new device does not match the description in the clone's BCD, and it is incapable of self-booting.
The easiest fix is to temporarily disconnect the HDD, boot from the Vista/7 DVD and let MS "repair your computer" > "startup repair" (3 times) fix the cloned BCD for you.

Addendum:

drat CG, you're too quick on the trigger tonight.

Last edited:
The BCD uses UIDs to locate Vista/7. They are a combination of the unique device signature and the starting block position of the partition on that device.
The letter you see in EasyBCD is a translation of that information into an intelligible format.
When you clone Vista/7, the unique device sig of the new device does not match the description in the clone's BCD, and it is incapable of self-booting.
The easiest fix is to temporarily disconnect the HDD, boot from the Vista/7 DVD and let MS "repair your computer" > "startup repair" (3 times) fix the cloned BCD for you.

Addendum:

drat CG, you're too quick on the trigger tonight.

Only tonight. :lol:

Back