Where are the Update uninstaller files?

Yeah, this whole cannot remove stuff is very annoying. However, the reasoning is understandable since WMP11 and IE7 are the only versions of the apps to run on Vista. System restore is your best friend as a first step. If you really neeeded to nuke these apps because of problems in them in order to reinstall them, I'd delete thier program directories, reinstall, and if that doesn't work, repeat the process and remove registry settings for the programs. OR... get a brute uninstaller to do the dirty work.

Manually tracking down the actual entries to be found in the system registry is a " do at your own risk" step not for the newbie there. One wrong value removed could end seeing the need for a full reinstall of Windows in order to repair a mistake unless you can re-create the exact entry once you know which item needs to be redone.

The show all updates and manually clicking on the change/uninstall button is the smart move to see an problem updated uninstalled. Once you have the problem like a bad install taken care of or have used a valid restore point if available you should be able to see a fresh update go on without problems.

When trying the beta for IE 8 on XP I ended up having to go as far as deleting the XP primary to see a clean install just to remove all traces since that prevented connecting onlline when trying to reverse to IE 7. Once in awhile you get a bad install of something that becomes a headache.

The main urk with WMP 11 over 10 that saw all kinds of support for media and video file playback with 10 on XP is that MS now promotes getting a 3rd party retail player since they dropped things like codecs and the free visualization screensavers you could run while playing audio files for the added look there. WMP 11 is the largest flop over simply the changes seen in Vista being a let down there. People are jumping on VLC and Media Player Classic over 11 fast.

The IE8 issues was only to your system. I have installed and removed it on all my OS's.

XP, Vista and Server 2008 with no issues what so ever.

I have never had any issues playing anything in WMP11 on XP or Vista. With the proper codec. There are some files which are just not supported and you need a 3rd party player. FLAC for example.

WMP11 works fine for me on Vista and XP. I've got alternatives available but never bother with them.

I'm far from the only person that complains about 11 especially on XP where several ask how to see 11 gone in order to reinstall 9 or 10. Rented movies on dvd won't play only hearing sound without video thare. Audio files in wma, mp3 run while you look at a black screen with no options for any visualizations unlike seen since 98 and WMP 7 there. People are turing to ITunes over 11. This is what I hear often.

I never did find out why IE 8 stalled on XP while IE 7 while in beta was limited and saw some glitches still being in beta form. For some reason still unknown maybe the level of protection on caused a rare problem no longer seen.

I will be looking at the final version of IE 8 regardless when that is out. I couldn't wait for IE 7 fast enough since IE 6 was a royal headache full of securoty holes especially while running a web search and coming across "bad istes" with either instant trojans or somethin else not wanted. I'll put it in those terms while trying to look up valid information on something.

I'm far from the only person that complains about 11 especially on XP where several ask how to see 11 gone in order to reinstall 9 or 10. Rented movies on dvd won't play only hearing sound without video thare. Audio files in wma, mp3 run while you look at a black screen with no options for any visualizations unlike seen since 98 and WMP 7 there.

The issue with sound and no video is most likely the anti-piracy protection on the disc. Default visualizations are still present in WMP11. There is a small arrow under "Now Playing" that'll open a menu with options to change WMP's enhancements and visualization settings. The jump to iTunes is simply pratical to the common iPod user because they want to use one program to manage all thier media content on both thier PC and portable device(s).

The main problem was seeing 10 work best for XP over 11 there. That's where the problems with visualizations came up not in Vista since 11 is native for the new version there.

It's ironic that Microsoft now encourages Cyberlink's PowerDVD and Roxio's own media player however since PowerDVD 4-6 has been the favored here for all types of video files along with dvds and video cd projects. PowerDVD will even play audio cds there with ease as well as mp3s stored in a folder.

Over the last several years that has shown itself as the best player found in a variety of ways. Just waiting to get the latest version on for Vista since that came along with optical drives and capture cards for seeing that on up until now. The shareware version for 7 on Vista also worked well when tried.

Okay what is this now?

WMP11 works jsut fine for XP. I have used it since Beta. The visualizations are NOT necessary to run WMP. I do not even activate them at all. So your whole point on that is null since that is a preference not a necessity.

I have not seen PowerDVD or Roxio encouraged at all. In fact i do not even own that software. Plus even in the newsgroups and on all the M$ sites. I have yet to see either of those apps recommended. Espically by Microsoft.

Vista was not he first that came with Optical Drive and capture cards. It was called MCE. Media Center Edition. I run it personally. there was several versions released. In 2002, and a update in 2005. Most caputer cards work on that OS more than Vista right now.

So i do not understand what you are trying to say or get at. As i have jsut shown. Everything has different results for different users. In your experience and for what you WANT you have different answers. But for those who do not use the software the way you do what Microsoft has is jsut fine.

Back