Where's BCD?

I have cloned my HDD into a SSD and to get it to boot I had to disconnect the HDD and boot from the Windows 7 install DVD. Used repair and it successfully created the boot information in the new drive. The repair program gave me a message that the BCD information will be saved in a backup at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\Harddisk Volume 2\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD.BACKUP.001 I can see the EFI directory in windows explorer at C:\EFI and then I get to C:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\ but there are no BCD files of any sort in there. Where is that backup, what sense does it make to have a backup if you can't find it? Usual Microsoft torture I guess. Any help?

he boot files are system protected files. So even if you have the option to show hidden files on, you have to check the option to show system protected files in order to see the boot files.

Then you are not looking on the right drive. Global Root doesn't mean C:\ necessarily. It could be what Windows has designated as the Boot Drive or it could mean that since no drive is designated, that there was no backup generated since it doesn't state a drive. Since you didn't use EasyBCD or one of our tools, you will have to go to the site of the tool you did use and find out from them where such a backup would be placed given the information their tool provided.

As I indicate in my initial post I used the Windows install DVD in repair mode. So it's Microsoft's tool, that's the reason for my comment at the end of the posted question. I tried Microsoft internet support with no success. You maybe right, as it was in repair mode it couldn't find the right drive and there is no back-up. What seems strange though, is that I can't see the BCD file in the EFI directory of the C drive now. I downloaded EasyBCD and it's now part of my toolbox.

Back