Why does EasyBCD ask for a DVD to add a WinPE entry?

Nemo

I am new to this forum and would like to thank all the people behind this nice piece of software, as well as the forum members who will be keen to help me :grinning:.

Here is my problem:

A friend of mine brought me a netbook which can no longer boot to Windows 7 Starter nor can give access to the recovery options.

I am trying now to rebuild the BCD of the recovery partition using the WinPE option in EasyBCD 2.1.2 (on a Windows XP desktop PC).

Unfortunately, after pointing it to the WIM image, EasyBCD asks for a DVD that I don't have and refuses to add the entry. Does it really need it? Am I missing something?

Yes. There are certain files needed to chainload a WinPE entry that are not installed by default which EasyBCD copies from the CD/DVD.

EasyBCD does not show this dialog if the files it needs were found elsewhere.

Thank you very much, Mahmoud.

I have also tried to decompress the WIM image to the C: partition and add a "Extracted filesystem layout" type entry.

Windows actually boots up, then it stops loading halfway saying "The installed program cannot start. Click OK to turn off the computer.

Is there another way EasyBCD could help me fix this issue or am I stuck for good? :smile:.

Back