Why Vista/Windows 7 Boot Manager Not Installed?

sluk

Consider while I am doing this under Windows XP:

Partition 1 Pri - Windows XP
Partition 2 Pri,Active - XP boot files, BCD, Vista/Win 7 Boot Manager
Partition 3 Pri - Windows 7

Re-format Partition 2 and attempt to use EasyBCD to recovery it with the following steps:

1) Bootloader Setup -> Create Bootable External Media
-> Partition: Partition 2

2) Bootloader Setup -> MBR Configuration Options ->"Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR then Write MBR

3) BCD Backup/Repair -> Re-create/repair boot files

4) Add New Entry for Win7 and XP

System reboot failed with unable to found Boot Manager and I found EasyBCD only re-create BCD store but failed to put a copy of the Vista/Win 7 Boot Manager on Partition 2.

Why did you format your boot partition ?
Why did you use "create .. external media" for an internal HDD ?
Where is the boot\BCD file at the moment ?
Is that partition "active" ?

Why did you format your boot partition ?
Because I accidentally deleted the partition.

Why did you use "create .. external media" for an internal HDD ?
If this is not the correct procedures please point me to the right direction.

Where is the boot\BCD file at the moment ?
Is that partition "active" ?
Created in Partition 2 already. Yes, it is "active" but unable to locate Boot Manager upon system boot up.

If you are completely unable to get into either W7 or XP, how are you sure of the partition flag status ?
Do you have a bootable partitition manager or Linux CD which you can use to examine the system ?
If so can you post a screenshot here.
If not, your best option is to get W7 booting by booting the W7 DVD, selecting "repair your computer" then "startup repair"
Do that whole process three times, and you should then be able to boot into W7 without the DVD.
At that stage, post a Disk Management screenshot.
The sticky thread will tell you how to attach .jpg images here.

I can boot into XP once because in the 1st attempt I use Bootloader Setup -> MBR Configuration Options ->"Install the Windows XP bootloader to the MBR then Write MBR, reboot.

I can boot into XP and check the partation status with Disk Management, beside, can boot into XP also proof that Partition 2 is in "Active" because I don't have boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM and ntldr in my XP Partition.

After that I use MBR Configuration Options ->"Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR then Write MBR, etc. and upon reboot system complaint cannot found Boot Manager.

Don't worry, I know how to recover my Windows 7 boot up, what I trying to ask here is why EasyBCD able to re-create a copy of the boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM and ntldr for XP boot up but failed to re-create at least a copy of bootmgr or whatever required for Vista/Windows 7 boot up? From what I can see in the boot partition only boot/BCD stuff are found + the XP stuff in the root directory (I connect the hard drive to another machine). Seems to me EasyBCD only re-created the BCD store but not other boot loader files for Vista/Windows 7 and I believe that explain why Windows 7 (PBR) complaint unable to find Boot Manager and just hang there.

Would it be a bug when people in a very rare situation like me who want to recover the boot partition from "scratch" while that partition is only used for booting but no Vista/Windows 7 OS installed? FYI, Dell is shipping all it's recent Windows 7 notebook in a configuration that the OS Partition is separated from the Boot Partition. When people attempt to add XP partition afterward they will need EasyBCD to recover the Windows 7 bootloader under XP, but in this situation it will works because the Windows 7 bootmgr stuff is already in the boot partition so my above problems will not surface even if EasyBCD did not re-create the Boot Manager together with the BCD store.

Last edited:
Back