Why won't EasyRE for Windows 11 boot from USB??

camdavis58

I have a crashed hard drive, and I want to use EasyRE to try to fix it. System is Windows 11. I used Easy USB Creator to make a bootable FAT32 USB flash drive. I changed the boot order in the bios. The computer will reboot with the flash drive, but I don't get to the program interface. All I see is what I think is code in white letters on a black background. There is lots of it. So what am I doing wrong?

It's possible that the program is not able to run properly due to compatibility issues with Windows 11 or other hardware configurations. Here are a few things you can try:
Check if you downloaded the correct version of EasyRE for your system. Make sure to download the version that is compatible with Windows 11.
Try using a different USB flash drive. Some flash drives may not be compatible with the Easy USB Creator tool.
Try using a different bootable USB creation tool, such as Rufus or UNetbootin, to create a bootable USB drive.
Try using a different recovery tool, such as a Windows installation disk or a bootable USB drive created with a different recovery tool.

May this information useful for you. My Sutter Online Login

I got the same problem, using Windows 11 Pro.
My monitor resolution is WQHD (2560 x 1440 pixels) and the startup code seems to hang always at the same position, where the driver for the AMD RX6900XT graphics card (ASRock RX6900XT OCF, the largest model of this line up) is loaded and does not seem to support my hardware(-resolution) after loading and thus seems to fall back into something "unknown". Thus the code never reaches the GUI and "hangs" there endlessly. I tried several different USB sticks (different manufacturers) already plus I used different software setups (most current versions of Rufus, EasyUSB-Creator_Light, UNETbootin) for setting up the bootable USB sticks.
No luck.
Makes me wonder, that this does not happen more often...

Last edited:
I got the same problem, using Windows 11 Pro.
My monitor resolution is WQHD (2560 x 1440 pixels) and the startup code seems to hang always at the same position, where the driver for the AMD RX6900XT graphics card (ASRock RX6900XT OCF, the largest model of this line up) is loaded and does not seem to support my hardware(-resolution) after loading and thus seems to fall back into something "unknown". Thus the code never reaches the GUI and "hangs" there endlessly. I tried several different USB sticks (different manufacturers) already plus I used different software setups (most current versions of Rufus, EasyUSB-Creator_Light, UNETbootin) for setting up the bootable USB sticks.
No luck.
Makes me wonder, that this does not happen more often...
I even used my CD-ROM drive and the latetest BurnAware software available, but the boot process hangs finally at exactly the same position ($ prompt) as before (USB-Stick version). Keyboard mapping is completely off, too, because all characters entered here are shown completely different on the screen.

It's possible that the program is not able to run properly due to compatibility issues with Windows 11 or other hardware configurations. Here are a few things you can try:
Check if you downloaded the correct version of EasyRE for your system. Make sure to download the version that is compatible with Windows 11.
Try using a different USB flash drive. Some flash drives may not be compatible with the Easy USB Creator tool.
Try using a different bootable USB creation tool, such as Rufus or UNetbootin, to create a bootable USB drive.
Try using a different recovery tool, such as a Windows installation disk or a bootable USB drive created with a different recovery tool.

May this information useful for you. My Sutter Online Login
This is an old thread and as I already stated all support for this product is via email. Thanks for posting.

@Ex_Brit
Your comment about "support" is somewhat surprising because it says explicitly on the free "EasyRE for Windows 11" download page, that support will only be provided by the Neosmart forum/community and not by email or phone. You now state differently and point me elsewhere.
Are Neosmart sales trying to lure me into buying the "Pro version" product or what ???

@Ex_Brit
Never mind... someone should clarify this and adapt the corresponding text on those web sites of Yours mentioned...

I checked my PCs (several), which use different graphics cards (Nvidia and AMD) .
The stated problem seem to appear, when one of the newer AMD cards (RX6900XTH) has been detected, which are seemingly not (yet ?) supported by Grub (Linux => Rufus, Your Easy USB light utility, others etc.,) which is behind the scenes doing most of the grunt work for setting up the bootable USB drive on many respective USB software utilities, whilst the older Nvidia card seems to be fine (detected by the corresponding Linux drivers) and EasyRE is working then as intended / expected. I tested several different (manufacturers) USB Sticks, several different memory sizes and corresponding bootable USB software utilities plus - last but not least - a CD-ROM Writer with the ISO file "burned" to it without any success.

Unfortunately the none functioning Windows 11 PC uses the much newer AMD graphics card, which the installed AMD (Linux) driver does not know of (yet ?, no support) and therefor exits prematurely without entering the EasyRE environment..

To bad... and a warning to others...

Last edited:
@Ex_Brit
That is your actual original text on several of your web pages concerning the free download of "EasyRE for Windows 11":
----------------------------------------
Download a bootable Windows repair USB absolutely for free from the link below:
Download EasyRE to Fix Windows 11

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to get more freebies and qualify for our upcoming NeoSmart swag giveaway!

Please note that free EasyRE downloads do not qualify for tier one support by phone or email; (higlighted by myself) any issues using EasyRE should be discussed in our user-to-user Windows 11 support forums. EasyRE is being offered as-is in the hopes users will find it beneficial to help repair their Windows 11 machines without any warranty, express or implied.
---------------------------------------

This is contrary to the statement provided here. What is supposed to be the valid statement ?
If you don't won't this or have it changed into something else, why not correcting it on your own web pages at several places ???

That’s the graphics card’s fault I feel. If you would like a refund please indicate so and I will alert the owner.
You can download W11 free from MS website and their Media Creation Tool will create a rescue tool such as a USB drive. But if you have incompatible hardware use Rufus to create it.

Hi,

I just came across a Neosmart document describing the procedure to have EasyRE correctly set up on an USB stick. Rufus is supposed NOT to be doing it correctly, allthough the text messages during boot looked/almost ?) quite the same...

One should use the (free to use) Neosmart "EasyUSBCreator_light" tool to setup the USB stick. The USB stick itself should have been formatted using the FAT32 (!) file system. As the tools GUI is very simple to use, nothing else has to be done. Strange enough, network drives were not accessible. On the other side the PC to test / repair should be setup in the UEFI/BIOS as NOT using the "Secure Boot" feature and should be enabled to boot from the (bootable) USB stick. CSM (!) should be "ENABLED" (very important !) even on Windows 11. This single point seems to be the reason, why I couldn't boot EasyRE from my USB stick during previous setups. After some time and lots of text messages flying by on the screen EasyRE booted, really :smile:

Many functions shown on the then visible menu screen where not usable / not active, like the "Virus Scanner" (needs another - paid - version), the "Partition Manager" (non-functional), the "Backup" feature (non-functional), the internet "Browser" (Chromium" (?), non-functional). One can select all of them, but nothing happens afterwards, at least on my screen. Only the virsu scan was displaying a window, saying, that one should contact Neosmat, because the current license wouldn't cover ist. Thus the free version seems to be a stripped down variant of the equivalent paid software version. Except for "Automatic Repair" and the plain cmd interface (Linux type commands!) nothing else was functional (sorry, no free lunch !). I was using a German keyboard, which was not selectable (US version seems to be preinstalled), causing lots of confusion, because none of the Windows commands where functioning, thus all keyboard entries had to be done by trial and error. Even help was non-functional...

To sum ist up: after a lengthy memory test the "Automatic Repair" feature asked me to identify the drive with the Windows 11 installation. Pressing "Continue" after that started the multi-step procedure repair process, which - after a reboot - left me (sorry) with a still not functioning Windows 11 boot, ending finally in a (dead) black screen. I tried this twice, but the outcome was still the same: no Windows boot at all...
Some messages during "Automatic Repair" were quite confusing, to say the least, like "Rewriting MBR on device ..." although all disks (except the USB stick) use GPT as the file system.
Note: After my 1st attempt I got two entries for the same boot drive in the UEFI boot menu with different namings offered, which disappeared the 2nd time. I resetted everything to the boot parameters needed for booting Windows 11 (Secure Boot, no CSM, GPT, TPM and else), but no Windows boot after all...
To bad...

PS.: I checked the partition setup now with the Windows 11 "diskpart" program from the Windows 11 install USB stick (repair option). The partition setup seems to be "screwed up" now completly, "bcdedit" will not show anymore the contents of the BCD file and the boot up process just ends in a black screen.
Will have to see, if the disks are still signaled by diskpart if they are GPT ... => I checked with diskpart the partition "list disk" again and the boot drive, which had bin GPT formatted, is now a MBR disk. F..k !!!!!

Thus the resume in my case: Beware of the "Automatic Repair" functionality of "EasyRE for Windows 11" !

Last edited:
Back