will BCD work with the just released Windows Technical Preview??

I presume you mean EasyBCD so have moved this thread there. As far as I know it should work but officially Windows 10 would not be supported until its final.
Mind you I'm not an expert here, but it should work. Such a beta setup is perhaps better off in a Virtual Machine, that way you can always access it...and ditch it when you need to.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

This might help: How to install Windows 10 Technical Preview on Oracle VirtualBox

Last edited:
I just installed it into my Oracle VB and have yet to really test it but at first glance I like it more so than the basic 8.1 (before I did all my modifications and added bits and pieces).
I see someone managed to get Vista Windows Mail to work on it already, as per a post over at Eight Forums.

Last edited:
It works. Here are my thoughts on Windows 10: Windows 10 Technical Preview: A First Look

And here's EasyBCD:

EasyBCD-2.3-Beta.png

Had problems installing W10 (0x08300024) to an empty space on an MBR formatted HDD with my EFI SSD in pole position, but it went on after I removed the SSD from the boot list, creating a new BCD in another partition on the same HDD as W10.
EasyBCD 2.3, then flawlessly multi-booted W7 and W8 from the new BCD.
all3.JPG
I assume W10 refuses to add an MBR-located OS into an EFI system partition, but nonetheless it works fine this way round and has the advantage that W10 has not touched my EFI SSD with its (possibly) poison fingers, so a quick BIOS shuffle will restore the status quo ante if necessary, though I cannot therefore confirm that EasyBCD correctly handles the .efi boot loader.
First impressions are slightly disappointing. The start menu seems a pale shadow of W7, if a step better than 8.1 U1, though I must confess that I did this at 3am (whilst watching first practice of the Japanese GP) and didn't spend any great time looking for custom options before taking to my bed. You'll see that I'm back on W7 (via the W10 BCD) for real work.
I'll take a more detailed look at W10 some time when nothing is scheduled for the MC, which is the sine qua non of my PC.

I'm sure there'll be lots of software out that will personalize 10 or even make it look like 7 but a hint I saw online, right-click all those Apps on the right of the "Start Menu" and select Unpin from Start cleans it up admirably.
I wish they'd bring back Aeroglass as at least an option and I wish they would have a built-in mail client as an option too rather than or in addition to the Cloud thing that's there now. Windows Mail was well designed but never officially made it past Vista even though I have it up and working on 7 and 8.1. WLM was a dog's dinner and good riddance to that.

I just want it to be able to do what W7 did.
I don't care if there are extra metro options I can use or choose to ignore, but I do want it to have the functionality which previously existed.
They still seem not to acknowledge their stupid error in removing this desktop productivity boon in favour of a phone-based paradigm, and seem to be reinstating it in dribs and drabs with the greatest show of reluctance.
For a multi-screen, keyboard, mouse, non-touch environment, the W7 start menu with its fully customizable flyout options is a masterpiece of efficiency.
I don't want to spend minutes on simple tasks which took seconds previously.
If I'm busy working away and decide I just want a bit of musical accompaniment, a couple of seconds hovering over the Orb does the trick seamlessly
flyout.jpg
They can make as much of the Metro environment available as they like -as an extra - but the desktop environment shouldn't be compromised just because the OS also caters for tablets and phones.
I'm hoping I'll discover some more options when I have another look.
If not, at least they have built in a whinge-link which I can avail myself of.

Last edited:
Terry, in your screenshot EasyBCD shows that all Windows entries are using winload.exe rather than winload.efi?

It would seem that a BCD located on a GPT disk calls the .efi loader, but an MBR located BCD loads the same OS using the .exe loader.
I previously assumed that the loader would depend on the location of the OS, but it seems that the location of the system partition is the decider.
.exe is obviously right because it's working.
Never stop learning things about how Windows works!

Last edited:
Yes, if your PC is loading via the BIOS (via the legacy/CSM module in the EFI firmware) it would use the "hybrid mbr" (a MBR-compatible listing of GPT partitions) and call bootmgr via the MBR bootstrap, which would load the BCD that calls winload.exe

But if you're booting in UEFI mode, it should be loading bootmgr.efi from /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi which would load up the EFI BCD that would call winload.efi

Do you know if you have a GPT disk configuration going at all?

My SSD (containing W7 and 8.1) is UEFI GPT with all of the consequent hidden partitions.
W10 would not install (to my free space on an MBR HDD) with that SSD at the top of the boot sequence (0x8300024).
I could only get it to install by removing the SSD from the boot list.
It then created a new BCD on the MBR HDD which I subsequently used to multi-boot using Easy2.3

I'm just surprised you can boot into a previously-GPT/UEFI-boot Windows (your Windows 7 and Windows 8.1) via the new MBR BCD, usually you need to perform some shenanigans to convert a UEFI boot to MBR.
Glad all is well, and thanks for putting the multi-boot to the test with EasyBCD.

It seems you made Easy cleverer than you realized.
It knew to use the exe boot loader from the MBR BCD and it worked straight away. ( Came up with a can't boot due to h/w or s/w change message, but I just selected "start windows normally" and it was fine. I guess that was due to W10 having "fast start" enabled like W8, but I haven't been back to check since.)
It seems that only the location of the "system" partition is of relevance to the choice of loader.

I'm an old person so please bear with me! I'm more mechanically inclined than technically, which provided the basics to build this system a couple of years ago, so I'm not totally clueless. Having said that, I too am interested in trialling W10. My system is x64 W7 SP1 with an ASUS P8Z77-M PRO motherboard, UEFI and SATA AHCI configured, a 3.40 gh Intel Core i5-3570K CPU and my C drive is a Kingston 120 gb SSD. Ideally, I'd like to install W10 on a Kingston 60 gb SSD. I know I can enter the BIOS and easily change the boot order whenever I would want to use W10, however, it would be so much simpler using a boot loader. My BIOS boot settings are set to be able to boot from/with anything, including legacy devices. So the question is can I use EASY BCD and I appreciate any replies or suggestions!

Yes, just go ahead and install Windows 10 and select the 60GB SSD during setup as the destination drive.
You'll either be good to go with a pre-configured boot menu and everything giving you the dual-boot option, or once you get back into Windows 10, install EasyBCD and set up a second entry for your existing Windows 7.

Yes, just go ahead and install Windows 10 and select the 60GB SSD during setup as the destination drive.
You'll either be good to go with a pre-configured boot menu and everything giving you the dual-boot option, or once you get back into Windows 10, install EasyBCD and set up a second entry for your existing Windows 7.
Thank you very much! Another question: on another forum someone mentioned they cloned there present system and installed W10 on the source drive, thus all of their present applications and settings were in W10. I currently use that 60 gb drive as the source drive for a weekly clone (using Macrium Reflect). My normal backups are daily to another drive but I figure it can't hurt to clone periodically. Anyway, would you agree that would work? Thank you!

Yes, from my testing it seems Windows 10 technically supports upgrades from Windows 7.
Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

So you could theoretically clone your existing 7 and upgrade either to 10, keeping a 7 version and a 10 version of your same system. Worth trying, at any rate.

Back