Will easy BCD work with Windows 8.1? (help!)

I'd like to use Easy BCD and associated products (such as the Windows rescue CD) to solve a boot sector problem on my Windows 8.1 machine -- viz., I have boot managers on two different internal drives and the operational one is NOT on the SSD which serves as my C: (windows) drive. This makes backing up a nightmare and restoration ineffective.

Your products have been recommended to me and it looks like they work on Windows 8, but I see no mention that they support Windows 8.1. So my questions are: (1) do they support 8.1 and (2) if not now, when? Thanks so much! Arthur:wtf:

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
I used EasyBCD on 8.1 this afternoon.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
It uses the non-GUI interface, which seems to upset some people, but since it's only visible for 5 seconds/day (if I happen to stay nearby after hitting the tit), I can't see what the fuss is about. (especially since it takes a default into W7 anyway, so it looks perfectly normal in context)

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Yes, I'm going to have to add an explicit option for that. Probably on the same page as the timeout settings. (and probably something I should've done a bit sooner.)

Relevant question. I've been using EasyBCD for awhile, and remember well the author promised ages ago this popular package will always be free. Then it was changed to "always have a free version", and now I wanted to update and see "Commercial version works with enterprise and professional editions of Windows". Does that mean, Community version doesn't support enterprise and professional editions of Windows? I don't need to remind, many people install Enterprise, and most Pro 8 versions on their home PCs, since the ISOs are broadly available on the web and have varying activation aspects.

Also, does EasyBCD now support booting from a Win8.1 VHD? If I add such VHD to an empty spare disk or partition on a disk where primary PC boot system is Win7, what version of Windows Bootmgr should I add to the empty volume - from Win7 or 8?

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
EasyBCD is free for home use. The home and commercial edition are the same (so I don't know what your phrasing of "always have a free version" is supposed to mean).

EasyBCD may not be used in commercial environments or for commercial purposes without paying for a license (why do you think it should be fair for everyone but the authors of EasyBCD to make money?) and as such, EasyBCD "Community Edition" cannot be used on Pro/Enterprise/Business editions of Windows. Windows 8 Home/Pro are not "enterprise" (EasyBCD runs on 8 Pro just fine).

As for "many people install Enterprise [...] since the ISOs are broadly available on the web and have varying activation aspects," this is illegal and against the terms of use/service of both Microsoft and NeoSmart Technologies. If you're using enterprise Windows to bypass activation, that's your problem, not ours.

I used easyBCD cos I wanted to dual boot Windows 8.1 with a linux based OS but.... using secure boot and UEFI (that's how my computer comes configured out of the box). I went ahead with it after reading the recommendations here, but now I can no longer boot windows or linux .. it looks like I will have to do a factory reset and recover the original state. Not a big problem as its a new laptop and there's no personal data on it. But I won't use easyBCD again, because in my opinion, the app does not yet support UEFI setups properly.
I am a home user BTW. I do some video and audio recording cos I'm retired and live on the edge of a tropical rainforest, hence the wish to boot 2 OS's (MSWindows is poor when it comes to real AV media use). I thought EasyBCD might have offered a generous solution. The computer just gives the message the BCD is not a valid bootloader and won't boot.

Ex_Brit

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Staff member
I used easyBCD cos I wanted to dual boot Windows 8.1 with a linux based OS but.... using secure boot and UEFI (that's how my computer comes configured out of the box). I went ahead with it after reading the recommendations here, but now I can no longer boot windows or linux .. it looks like I will have to do a factory reset and recover the original state. Not a big problem as its a new laptop and there's no personal data on it. But I won't use easyBCD again, because in my opinion, the app does not yet support UEFI setups properly.
I am a home user BTW. I do some video and audio recording cos I'm retired and live on the edge of a tropical rainforest, hence the wish to boot 2 OS's (MSWindows is poor when it comes to real AV media use). I thought EasyBCD might have offered a generous solution. The computer just gives the message the BCD is not a valid bootloader and won't boot.
If you had researched it using Google you would have found out that you need EasyBCD 2.3 Beta for UEFI.
This post may help: Problem Change Boot Drive
Although I agree the product page does state UEFI ready. I will ask questions internally about that.

Ex_Brit

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Staff member