Win 10 Failed install on Lenovo Y580

SapeSt

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
Background - believing Microsoft, I attempted to update my Win7Pro Y580 (with SSD & HDD) to Win 10. It failed. I then learned that Lenovo says this particular hardware configuration will not support Win 10.
I am left with a machine that presents the Windows Boot Menu and two options on startupupload_2015-10-28_9-41-34.png upload_2015-10-28_9-48-31.png upload_2015-10-28_9-50-35.png .
(from EasyBCD)
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 5 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Unnamed Entry
BCD ID: {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71}
Device: [C:]\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\SafeOS\winre.wim
Bootloader Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe
( I note both entries have the same bootloader path)

Can I safely remove Entry #1 (Unnamed Entry on this screen)
upload_2015-10-28_9-41-34.png
& choose "Skip the boot menu" to put things back the way they were before the failed install?
Do I need to select "Skip the boot menu" if there is only one entry?

I am concerned because of the odd hardware configuration of making this change without checking with those smarter than me.
More info -
When I open Computer Mgmt/Disk Mgmt I see this dialog box -
upload_2015-10-28_9-48-31.png
(I am fairly sure 'Disk1' is the SSD, before the failed install I never saw this dialog box)
After I choose Cancel, I see this -
upload_2015-10-28_9-50-35.png
The machine runs fine.
Any comments gratefully accepted.
thx
-Steve

What's the 14Gb partition on disk 0 ?
Your Disk Management is incomplete so I can't see if you're showing two active partitions on one HDD (impossible) or are missing another drive off the display.

upload_2015-10-31_15-40-34.png upload_2015-10-31_15-42-14.png upload_2015-10-31_15-43-13.png upload_2015-10-31_15-44-0.png Here is another screen shot from Disk Mgmt -
upload_2015-10-31_15-40-34.png
Here is what Device Manger reports -
upload_2015-10-31_15-42-14.png
The Samsung is the SSD-
upload_2015-10-31_15-43-13.png
yet it displays the partitions of the hard disk.
The Western Digital is the HDD -
upload_2015-10-31_15-44-0.png

you see why I am hesitant to change anything?
I will speculate the 14G partition displayed in Disk Mgmt is the SSD, just based on the size.

According to that, you are running on a 1Tb SSD with an uninitialized HDD !
Something is seriously screwed up, but Disk Management is well known to be buggy.
Try looking with a third party Partition Manager (here's a free version if you don't own one).

Thank you for the suggestion.
The Partition Mgr s'ware you suggested will not start on my machine. I have sent in a support request to the publisher with a screen shot of the error.
Other thoughts?

-Steve

Mini Tool support says there is a hardware incompatibility with their s'ware and they may investigate further. I dont have another product to try.
-Steve

It's almost certainly not a hardware incompatibility, it's probably a logical error/inconsistency in the MBR, GPT, or both that's causing their code (and possibly Microsoft's) to crash when parsing it. I've come across such issues developing the MBR and GPT repair routines in EasyRE; it's tough to say which they could be, but it's possible that it's conflicting MBR and GPT records with different characteristics in their partition listings, overlapping partition entries, or one of my "favorites," recursive partition records. If you have a copy of EasyRE, you could try running the automated repair and seeing if that corrects the disk layout concerns.

How this came to be is also up in the air, I've seen PCs ship with horrible (or just plain wrong) MBR or GPT layouts and of course Windows setup does a fair amount of damage in the event things go wrong, too.

If you have nothing to lose on the PC, I'd simply nuke the disk headers (making sure to erase both MBR and GPT) and then re-initialize it in MBR format (not GPT) and reinstall whatever you want to install. Like I said, I highly doubt it's a hardware issue, just odd data on disk causing these problems.

Thank you for your insight and comments.
The Windows Boot Menu is annoying.
After the failed Win 10 install, I was hopful that EasyBCD would be a simple fix. Seems not.
There is something 'odd' about this hardware. Its the only machine in its family that Lenovo says is incompatible with Win 10.
When I first bought the machine, the first Win 7 install failed because of a bad install CD. After 3 sessions and 7 hours on the phone with Lenovo tech support I had to send them the machine to sort things out so I could install Win 7.
I have no idea why this is, one of the issues you mention or something else related to the SSD implementation.
My first mistake was installing Win 10 without confirming with Lenovo.
I dont want to make another, and end up with many hours putting things back together, if that is even possible. I have no faith in the support tools that Lenovo provides for this machine, and I dont think I have the knowledge to sort things out myself if things go really bad.
The potential effort to restore the laptop if needed, is far more then the minor annoyance of seeing the Windows Boot Menu on every start up. (Which I can almost get rid of in Windows startup settings)
If I KNEW EasyBCD would remove the Menu without breaking something, I would make the change. The failure of the partition s'ware doesnt change that. But I am not willing to try given my situation.
So I am back to my original question; can I use EasyBCD to edit/remove the Windows Boot Menu without breaking something else?
Thx
-Steve

You can certainly use EasyBCD to add remove *entries* just fine - it won't touch the partition records or the MBR or anything in that event. EasyBCD simply works on the contents of a database file in the boot directory.

But that doesn't mean any entries you add will work if their partitions aren't set right.

Thank you for this info.
Not looking to add any, just remove.
May I ask -
If there is only one menu item would Windows still display the Boot Menu?
Thx -Steve

thank you
I asked a poor question. Is it Windows default action to just boot to the default OS if there is only one choice? Or is there a flag or other setting that determines if the Boot Menu is displayed and that is what the Menu settings in EasyBCD and Windows "Startup & Recovery" control?
-Steve

Back