Win 7 and XP

thewayner

I am new to EasyBCD and downloaded and installed ver 2 beta 65. I am running Win 7 as :C\ and XP as :grinning:\ . First does EasyBCD work in Win 7? When I installed it it said it couldn't find the bootloader store so I pointed to it under it's main directory. When it
opened it said there is only 1 entry in the Windows Vista bootloader.
EasyBCD boot device :grinning:\

I don't have Vista on the notebook..

Bottome line what I realy want to know is how to change the name listed in Win 7 bootloader. When it opens it says:

Previous Version of Older Windows

Win 7 (default loading OS)

I want to rename Previous Version to XP

Thanks

I am new to EasyBCD and downloaded and installed ver 2 beta 65. I am running Win 7 as :C\ and XP as :grinning:\ . First does EasyBCD work in Win 7? When I installed it it said it couldn't find the bootloader store so I pointed to it under it's main directory. When it
opened it said there is only 1 entry in the Windows Vista bootloader.
EasyBCD boot device :grinning:\

I don't have Vista on the notebook..

Bottome line what I realy want to know is how to change the name listed in Win 7 bootloader. When it opens it says:

Previous Version of Older Windows

Win 7 (default loading OS)

I want to rename Previous Version to XP

Thanks
Hello wayner, welcome to NST.
Yes, EasyBCD works fine in all versions of Windows. It is a tool for manipulating the Vista/Win 7 BCD, and configuring it to boot other OSes. And it also has some other neat features.
You only see one entry in EasyBCD's Add/Remove Entries section, and that is Win 7?
If it couldn't find the BCD, there may be problems with your system (i.e. things like broken bootsector, hidden "system" partition, etc.). When you say you pointed it at 'the main directory', which partition was this?
Please post a screenshot of your Disk Management window, along with the contents of EasyBCD's View Settings->Advanced (debug) mode.

Let me correct myself. Installed EasyBCD on the Win 7 desktop. When I attempted to open the program a msg appeared stating: The boot configeration data store could not be opened. The system can not find the file specified. Would you like to like to manually open a BCD registry for BCD to manage. I said yes and it took me to a neo... file. Not that I look at it, it is just an example.

Evidently instally EasyBCD was unable to find my Win 7 bootloader or what ever file it needed to open up.

Double clicking on the EasyBCD icon does not open up the program It just gives me the above msg. I uninstalled it twice and both times got the above.

Win 7 is loaded in C:\ and XP in D:\

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you're missing the BCD (the "boot configuration data" store used by Win 7's bootloader to store entries). Either that, or EasyBCD can't find it for some reason.

Could you post a screenshot of your Disk Management window?

Last edited:
Win 7 Boot Loader

Two things: I use Fedora 11 and there boot loader (grub) may be affecting this.

My hard drive is partitioned the following:

C:\ Win 7
D:\ XP
3rd Partion is Linux (F11)

Excuse me but what/where is Disk Management?
Sorry

Two things: I use Fedora 11 and there boot loader (grub) may be affecting this.

My hard drive is partitioned the following:

C:\ Win 7
D:\ XP
3rd Partion is Linux (F11)

Excuse me but what/where is Disk Management?
Sorry
You can find Disk Management by bringing up the Windows menu, right-clicking "Computer", selecting "Manage", and in the Computer Management window that opens up, select "Disk Management" in the left pane. Then, you can take a screenshot of it by using the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard, and pasting it into (for example) a Paint document, and saving it as a .jpg image (which you can then post here by using the "Manage Attachments" button further down in the new post area, when you make a new post).

Is Grub installed to the MBR? If so, then you could be using it to boot all 3 OSes, instead of the Win 7 bootloader. It could be EasyBCD doesn't like the fact that Grub is installed to the MBR, and the "active" partition on the disk is Fedora's, which would explain why it can't find the BCD, but you can still boot...

If that's the case, then what needs to be adjusted is the Fedora menu.lst (not the BCD).

Last edited:
Win 7 Bootloader

When I start my computer it asks if I want to boot into Win 7 or Fedora. If I say Win 7 then another boot loader (which I believe is Win 7's) as me if I want to boot into Win 7 or Previous Edition of Windows. The defalut is Win 7.

As to the computer mgt, attached is a screen print from Win 7. However, if I go to XP it shows entirely a different thing. XP is C:\ , Win 7 is E:\ and Linus is D:\

Win 7 says C:\ is Win 7 and D:\ is XP. It does not show linux.

Disk letters are a figment of the imagination of each individual Windows OS (a set of registry entries).
There is no letter attached physically to the HDD.
Consequently there is no reason why 2 systems should use the same letter to describe a particular resource, unless you tell it to (in Disk Management "change letters").
What you are describing is Grub controlling the boot and chaining to bootmgr if asked.
You must have failed to use the "advanced" boot loader options when you installed Fedora and have allowed it to overwrite the MBR and take control of the boot.
You should decide whether you want Grub to continue in charge, or whether you want W7 bootmgr back in control and we'll advise how to continue.

Back