Win 7 Tuneup

saphire 199

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,

I just have a question, don't know if it is possible or not. Is there a "tuneup" program available that actually does tune up your pc including reg, files, etc? I have seen too many scams in this area, but the fact is that after installing and reinstalling and using pgms and getting rid of them when you don't want and even your day to day work leaves behind some crud here and there and I'm just wondering if there's any way to occassionally clean it up - I'm not talking once a week, but over time, like once a month or every other month. Has anyone heard of a program that actually works or is this pipe dream stuff?

saphire 199

Hi saphire,

Most stuff in this category is indeed either malware or a scam. The reason is that there are no rules that another program can use to identify whether or not a registry key or file is in use.

Any application that you use can place files anywhere on your PC or in the registry. There's absolutely no way for anything (not even Windows itself) to figure out what's being used and what isn't.

You can, for future use, get yourself a copy of the freeware Revo uninstaller.
Whenever you want to uninstall some piece of trial software, don't use the Windows uninstaller, or the uninstall that came with the app, but use Revo.
It will invoke the normal uninstaller, but it will also scan the OS and the registry for left-over detritus, and let you flush it away.
It successfully got me out of a "won't finish installing, can't uninstall because the install isn't complete" catch22 situation trying to update AVG 7 to AVG 8.

Second recommend for Revo. I'm constantly using it to clean up PCs for people. Stick the portable version on a usb drive and have it when ever you need it where ever you need it.

You can, for future use, get yourself a copy of the freeware Revo uninstaller.
Whenever you want to uninstall some piece of trial software, don't use the Windows uninstaller, or the uninstall that came with the app, but use Revo.
It will invoke the normal uninstaller, but it will also scan the OS and the registry for left-over detritus, and let you flush it away.
It successfully got me out of a "won't finish installing, can't uninstall because the install isn't complete" catch22 situation trying to update AVG 7 to AVG 8.

Terry, I just noticed this thread so sorry to butt in but at the Revo website I read that only the Pro version removes remnants...or am I wrong?

Second recommend for Revo. I'm constantly using it to clean up PCs for people. Stick the portable version on a usb drive and have it when ever you need it where ever you need it.

Portable version? I see only the free or Pro on their website. Do you mean the free one?

I use the free (portable, like Jus) version.
It does all the cleanup work.
My version is 1.8.3
Maybe they've hobbled the latest free version ?
Mine also works fine on Vista/W7 64 bit, though I guess the apps I've used it on are probably 32 bit
It does say that the free version has 8 clean-up tools, maybe that's all I see, but it certainly works OK .
The pro version does say it will clean-up after already uninstalled apps, so I guess that makes it an all-purpose reg-cleaner rather than specifically an uninstaller.
You can get other freeware to do that, though generally I don't bother.

You can do it in the free version, its just the paid has some extras. They're phrasing it so you'll want to go with the Pro version which is perfectly fine if it turns out you really like it (and the type that goes installing apps all the time), but the free version is all thats really needed.

They do have a portable version. Its a little hard to track down on their site now days. You just have to look around for it.

Here it is :smile:
You just had to click on Other downloads (a really small link towards the bottom)

My version is 1.8.3
Maybe they've hobbled the latest free version ?

I've got 1.8.3 too. Downloaded the latest and everythings still there except for clearing of FireFox history. I don't know if thats because it says FireFox 2 and they're still working on support for FireFox 3 or they are starting to remove some features to make the pro version more attractive.

Last edited:
Back