Win 7 / Ubuntu 9.04 dual boot stops at "loading stage2"

joebubba360

My older system has a 500Gb SATA drive running from BIOS as a Raid. (Old system & BIOS) This is the only way the SATA drive will run on this machine.

Current drive partiton configuration is:
SDA0 - system reserved
SDA1 - Win7
SDA2 - Data Partition
SDA3 - Ubuntu 9.04
SDA4 - Swap Drive

• I installed Vista first.
  • I installed Ubuntu 9.04 second. System would not boot at all. Recovered using Win7 boot disk repair to rewrite the boot section and MBR.
  • I used EasyBCD to setup the dual boot as described in the "Vista before Linux" instructions. This did not work at all. Failed at "Grub" and again would not boot Win 7. Repeated Win7 boot disk repair.
  • I tried the "Linux before Vista" setup. This went farther, but failed at "Grub loading stage2".
  • Win7 currently DOES boot OK.
After much reading, (re: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub-installer/+bug/99981) it might be that the grub "install" command is required with the "d" option due to the older BIOS. However, I'm not sure what the exact statement should be for my case. The suggested general statement is:
Code:
install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+17 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2 /grub/menu.lst
If I understand the code correctly, with grub installed to the bootsector on (hd0,4), I am guessing the correct statement would be:

Code:
install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0)1+17 p (hd0,4)/grub/stage2 /grub/menu.lst
Could someone kindly help me on this?

- Joe -

Last edited:
Back