Win 8.1 - multiple boot menu problem

BobD

I have five Win 8.1s on two SSDs running multiple boot through the Win 8 style GUI boot menu. They all work happily with no apparent problems. I have customised (Australian spelling) the boot menu entries using BCDEDIT /SET {PartitionID} description "My Description". That was no problems except that I couldn't get the boot menu entries in the order that I would have liked.

Then I had a brainwave. I thought I'll get EasyBCD and just massage the entries into the right order. I'd used EasyBCD for this before on Win 7 systems. That sort of worked. I got the menu order but lost the GUI boot menu. It looked like a Win 7 boot menu.

Before I started on this I saved my BCD using BCDEDIT /EXPORT C:\MyFileName and was able to restore it with a similar /IMPORT command. So I can experiment and restore easily back to the GUI boot menu.

Is it possible to do what I am trying? Can anyone offer any advice.

Win 8.1 64 bit system with EasyBCD version 2.2.0.182.

TIA
Bob

It looks like it can't be done with EasyBCD. Any adjustments to a win 8 or 8.1 system, using EasyBCD, causes the system to lose the GUI boot menu and revert back to a Win 7 style boot menu. The unfortunate part of this is a loss of functionality from the boot menus. This functionality is essential to win 8 systems.

Terry
I'll look into it and eventually report back.
Win 10 is coming up soon. I may defer any actions pending that.
thanks
Bob

Back