Win XP Boot issue

Summit

Hi,

This could be a long story, but I'll cut to the chase...

I have a dual boot Win 7 on C:. Win XP on D:, both first partitions on two separate drives.

I have Win 7 working fine, but there is an issue with XP.

According to the info I read here I have everything set up OK for the dual boot since I can boot into both OS, but the Win XP will not load completely, I get the LOGO and the bar running beneath it, then, after about 15 sec. I get a BSOD. I can get into XP fine in Safe Mode, but not "normally".

I decided to try a repair install of WIN XP, but when I boot the XP disk and get to where the repair install should be I get only options to do a full install and the Hard drive specs are all messed up, not enough space and the wrong designations.

I was wondering if I can restore the MBR, Bootgfg, and Boot.ini on the Win XP drive to allow a repair install and then rerun easybcd to set up the dual boot again? Is this the right course, or am I missing something?

Please feel free to ask for any further info you might need.

Thanks!

If the XP installation is newer than your Installation CD e.g. SP3 > SP1, then the "Repair" Install option will not be offered, because you're regressing the OS. (each SP is effectively a new release of the OS).
You can download any missing SPs and slipstream them into your Installation CD, and burn a new compatible disc which should enable the repair.

Thanks Terry

If the XP installation is newer than your Installation CD e.g. SP3 > SP1, then the "Repair" Install option will not be offered, because you're regressing the OS. (each SP is effectively a new release of the OS).
You can download any missing SPs and slipstream them into your Installation CD, and burn a new compatible disc which should enable the repair.

Thanks for your help. It turned out it was an XP service that somehow wanted to start even though it was for an Intel system and mine is AMD. Once I renamed the driver file so it couldn't start I was in.

However I would note that I found my WinXP SP3 updated install disk and although it allowed me to see my drives correctly, I still had no repair install option. From some reading I found that that function is based on the install routine looking at the Boot parameters for the disks. Does the "changed" boot setup of EasyBCD account for this? I haven't found an answer to that, but for me it is a moot point and I am happily back to my Dual Boot of XP and 7.

Thanks again!

James

Back