Win XP failing to start

Hi,

I bought a Samsung laptop recently with Win 7 pre installed. I installed a dual boot setup with Win XP, which resulted in the comp booting straight to XP. I then used a third party program to reinstall the boot data for Win 7, and then the comp would only boot straight to Win 7. So then I installed EasyBCD to give me the option to select, but when I choose Win XP, I get the following screen:

64435613@N08

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64435613@N08/

I'm uncertain about what to do now, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Saber

Addendum:

I'd like to add that the bootloader path for XP seems strange in comparison to the one for Win 7, and is listed in the error message I get when I try and boot XP. Here is an the EasyBCD overview of my settings:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: None
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {3b28077e-9d34-11e0-a215-e839dfa8ad74}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\easyldr1

Last edited:
Delete the entry, go back to using "auto-configure", and as CG says, Don't change what it sets up. It knows what it's doing. The BCD does not contain the location of XP, it points to copies of the XP boot files. They contain the location.

Hi CG and T60, thanks for responding. I figured someone with an eagle eye would spot that. That said, however, I had changed the drive letter as a last ditch effort to solve my problem (I was still getting the error even before I changed the drive letter). I'll try going back to using "auto-configure", but I suspect the result will be the same..

If it doesn't work, post a screenshot of your Disk Management, and provide some detail on the "3rd party" software and what you did with it.
The sticky explains how to attach screenshots here without needing external sites.

Hi, it now works for some reason (yay, progress!), but now when I switch OS's the boot up isn't smooth: the logo shows up for a brief moment, the comp suddenly reboots, and then an error msg shows up giving you the choice to repair (for Win 7), start in safe mode (for XP), or start Windows normally. When I choose start Windows normally, it works, but I don't know if it's healthy to go through this process every time I switch OS's. I'll get the info you mentioned to you in a moment (have to reboot). Thanks again

Hi T60, Here's a screen shot of my disc management, as well as a screenshot of the program I mentioned using. It's VistaBootPro3.3 and I used it because an entry on the HowToGeek Forum mentioned something about not being able to use EasyBCD in the XP environment. When using VBP, I pretty much followed the picture (and nothing more) from the HowToGeek tutorial on dual booting xp and Win 7: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 3
  • VistaBootPro3.3.JPG
    VistaBootPro3.3.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi CG, yes, I'm not surprised to hear that. Like I said in my previous post, however, it was due to the post I've copied below that prompted me to use non-EasyBCD software. That and T60's advice. I am basically thinking of repeating the entire process again using only EasyBCD, but I don't want to be stuck not being able to use it halfway through the process, as the post warns about. This concern is an legitimate EasyBCD related issue, so although I will understand if you are hands off at this point, I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thanks,
Saber
January 17, 2010 11:45 pm

JP
OK, have done it all, but not quite as simple and straight forward as that posted (although a good attempt). The trick is, if possible, install XP first ! If not, you have to be able to boot into Win7 before EasyBCD can be installed and executed. Try a restore from the Win7 cd, and you will have to restore 3 to 4 times before you can boot to Win7 from the HDD. Goodluck all.

That post is incorrect. EasyBCD needs the .NET 2.0 framework, and if it's available, will run on XP.

As of 2.1 this is no longer an issue as .NET 2.0 will be automatically installed.

Anything that involves VBP is automatically not covered here.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up CG, I appreciate it. Unless there's some minor changes I can make to solve the rough nature of the boot I experience when switching OS's, it seems that I can either leave things as they are, or consider redoing the installation using just EasyBCD. Here's hoping that doing so can give a smoother result than what I have now. .

No guarantees, but just fire up EasyBCD, delete the existing windows xp entries and add them with the autoconfigure option checked.

Back