WIN XP Problems

YSbird

Distinguished Member
A friend brought me her Acer TravelMate 4200 with Win XP Pro, with some serious problems. These problems occurred after it was taken into a (what is supposed to be the best) computer Sales/repair/etc shop in town. All they were supposed to do was transfer files from this laptop to her new Acer Laptop. But they scr*wed it up big time.

Anyway, I fixed some of the problems, but there are still many others, so thought I’d try a system restore, but didn’t work. Kept getting a message “…a problem detected and Windows shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Blah, blah, etc.

Technical Info

STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XF8996208, 0XF899F08)
pci.sys – address F854A0BF base at F8543000, datestamp 3b7d855c

This came up a couple of times so thought I’d try ASR, but can’t since looking for ASR floppy (no disk, no floppy)

I don’t know where the pci.sys problem is as it shows in number of files, including windows\system 32, but when I looked I couldn’t find it there, (even after it showed in a search) And I have the file folders set to show all hidden files.

So, I’m stumped at this point. What do I do now?

Search Results

There is a lot of results on Microsoft.com for this type of error. But i would say a repair install. If windows\system32 is missing and cant be found that is a huge problem.

I'm pretty sure if you can't see C:\Windows\System32 it's because you don't have the ability to view hidden and System Hidden OS files.

I don’t know where the pci.sys problem is as it shows in number of files, including windows\system 32, but when I looked I couldn’t find it there, (even after it showed in a search) And I have the file folders set to show all hidden files.

Sorry, just to make that statement more clear.

It isn't the windows\system32 folder I can't find, it is the pci.sys file within that folder that I couldn't see.

and that was after I had changed the settings to be able to see the hidden files. I can see other hidden files, just not that one in the system 32 folder.

Anyway, I'll check out MS pages to see if I can find that error. Thx

I've attached a good pci.sys from XP (renamed to filetype txt).
Rename it and put a copy in system32\drivers and see if it fixes the problem.

Attachments

• pci.txt
    66.6 KB · Views: 2
Thx Terry for the file. I may possibly still need it.

Been working on the laptop on and off all day. <phew>

Anyway search MS but couldn't find anything about my specific problem, but found a few which were somewhat related. Tried doing what they suggested but still didn't work.

Spoke to another friend who sells and repairs PCs amongst many other things PC related. Anywhy, he suggested I try system file checker (sfc /scannow) I tried it and it worked, it got rid of that error page.

Tried to do a repair by clicking R on the install/repair page. The only choice available was 1. c:\Windows, so picked 1 and hit enter. Then asked for Admin password. My friend didn't have an Admin password, so just hit enter C:\Windows came up again, hit enter again, same thing again, so typed in exit and started over, and everything just repeated.

At that point called my friend and told her that if I continued working on the laptop, it was going to cost her big $$$ to fix this thing. She decided it wasn't worth it, all she really wants is her data (which I backed up and saved) so end result is that I now own the laptop.

Sooooo this is going to be a work in progress and a learning experience.

Back