Win XP (without boot.ini) + Win7

Hi!

I couldn't find my answer on the forums so I'll describe the situation I have here.

I had a PC with 2 WinXP installed on it. First system I used for the general purposes, the other one was DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) with lots of audio software installed. The boot sector was on the first XP, DAW version was installed later. 8 month ago I decided to take a break with music and created a backup image of the DAW drive with Norton Ghost. After that I've erased everything from all HDs and installed Win7. Now I wan't to revise the DAW system from the backup so it works with Win7 on the same PC. I've restored the image of DAW to the partition and of course that didn't give me any result. After that I've installed EasyBCD 2.1 and made a new entry of Win NT/2k/XP/2k3 with "automatically detect correct drive" settings. Now I have an option of XP and it kind of loads, but only for some 5 seconds and I have the welcome screen (blue one with only WinLOGO displayed) and nothing happend. After a while it detects a USB mouse. No more action. It looks like it even doesn't start to load. A help could be really useful guys, don't want to spend lots of time to create DAW system form the blank. :smile:

Thanks!

Yeap, it looks like the problem described in the link. So, basically I need to use method 3 cause I can't boot into WinXP and I can't clone it again, cause it exists only as an image. Will it be ok with Win7 if I delete or alter the DiskID in the MBR?

Thank Terry60

Try a web search for "Windows 98 startup disc" and see if you can find an ISO you can burn to a CD.

You can download this (taken from BootDisks.com).

Then use EasyBCD 2.1 beta to add a Floppy Image to the .img file in the zip file. That'll boot into the virtual floppy drive, and from there you can cd into the CD drive and install Windows.

Cheers.

Attachments

• WINME.IMG.zip
    761.6 KB · Views: 4
Well, I'll tell you what I did: I've followed Computer Guru advice and used the virtual floppy drive! Then I've userd fdisk /mbr command. And of course it broke W7 boot that I've fixed using command promt from W7DVD by executing:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force
del C:\boot\bcd
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

W7 loaded, I've opened EacyBCD, proceeded to "Add new entry" and added WinXP. And again the same result, it loads till blue screen when it shows Windows XP full logo and nothing more happens! Damn it! :smile: The copy of WinXP was 100% working and image cloning/restoring worked at that time for that system when there where 2 x WinXP on the PC. Nothing changed in the hardware, only Win7 appeared.

Still searching for the solution!

Yeap, indeed it helped! Althouth I needed to install it in Dubugging mode, cause without it it stoppen on 34 minutes left while installing the drivers. Some soft failed to starp after launching the system, but 85% working ok!

Thanks all! :smile:

Back