Win7 (pre-installed) and WinXP from old HD

pagosajoe

I have a new PC with Windows 7 pre-installed. My old PC died from a lightning strike, but I have the old SATA hard drive that has WinXP loaded on it. It's accessible under Win7, along with the other drives configured like this:

- Two SATA 500G drives
- A primary drive (C)
- A backup (non-RAID) E-drive.

- My OLD 80G drive that has two partitions:
- The former C-drive held the data/programs (now ID'd as F-drive)
- The former D-drive held the WinXP OS (now ID'd as G-drive)

NTLDR is located in the OLD drive now identified by Win7 as the F-drive partition.

I've used EasyBCD to add the old drive/WinXP OS and have the WinXP boot loader set to F-drive. When I start the PC, I have the choice of Windows 7 or WinXP, but when I select WinXP, the system hangs and won't let me proceed. I can only boot under Windows 7.

I've obviously made an error somewhere....thoughts/suggestions for a newbie dual-booter?
redface.gif

TIA

I have a new PC with Windows 7 pre-installed. My old PC died from a lightning strike, but I have the old SATA hard drive that has WinXP loaded on it. It's accessible under Win7, along with the other drives configured like this:
Hello pagosajoe, welcome to NST.
(How did a lightning strike zap your PC? :brows: Must have come in through the window...hope no one got hurt)
- Two SATA 500G drives
- A primary drive (C)
- A backup (non-RAID) E-drive.

- My OLD 80G drive that has two partitions:
- The former C-drive held the data/programs (now ID'd as F-drive)
- The former D-drive held the WinXP OS (now ID'd as G-drive)

NTLDR is located in the OLD drive now identified by Win7 as the F-drive partition.

I've used EasyBCD to add the old drive/WinXP OS and have the WinXP boot loader set to F-drive. When I start the PC, I have the choice of Windows 7 or WinXP, but when I select WinXP, the system hangs and won't let me proceed. I can only boot under Windows 7.
Wrong move. You're not supposed to change where EasyBCD automatically points at for an XP entry, under "Change Settings". EasyBCD knows what its doing. It pointed at the correct partition, but you changed it to the wrong one.

Get EasyBCD 2.0 if you're not using that already, and use it to delete the current XP entry in your BCD, and re-add it, letting it auto-configure. This time, DO NOT ADJUST WHERE THE BOOT ENTRY POINTS! :smile:
Then you'll have a dual-boot.

Cheers.

Jake

Back