Win7 + Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix problem (EBCD 2.0)

n808

I had Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix dual booting with GRUB. Then I installed Win 7 on the WinXP partition, and I am now trying to get dual booting to work with EasyBCD 2.0 latest beta build (76).

From what I have read, it should be as simple as adding a Neosmart Linux GRUB 2 entry, but when I do that, I just get to the GRUB> cmd line when choosing that option from the boot menu. I have also tried adding a NeoGrub entry with the menu.lst from the Linux partition, but it ends up exactly the same, the GRUB> cmd prompt.

Here is a screenshot of the partition layout as seen from Windows. Ubuntu is on the 70.19 GB partition:

vyVd1.png

The entry from the menu.lst that I tried with NeoGrub:

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-17-generic
uuid 3b9f20b5-5d47-4d38-88e9-a149a11a6639
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-17-generic root=UUID=3b9f20b5-5d47-4d38-88e9-a149a11a6639 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-17-generic
quiet
Any advice?

EDIT: it seems I was mistaken about GRUB 2. Ubuntu 9.04 does not use this yet, but when I tried the GRUB (legacy) option, and pointed EBCD to the Linux partition (partition 5 in the pulldown) to create the boot entry, choosing that boot entry in Win7 boot menu, takes me right back to the Win7 boot menu (after a brief blank screen). I will experiment some more with this.

Addendum:

Problem solved

I had to add a Grub (Legacy) entry for with the option "Grub isn't installed" checked. That solved the problem, and dual boot restored :smile:. This entry now takes me to the GRUB Linux loader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back