win7 & xpPro ~ xp reboots at logo screen

magneo

hi all help ,
i have 2 drives one with win7 ssd and one with xpPro hdd, all on satall.
installed easyBCD selected the xpPro to boot
the system reaches the splash screen of XP and then reboots
i can select win7 and boot to win7 ok.

thanks for any help i would like to get my data back from xp , i know i should have moved the data first , lesson learned.

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: D:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {c84fe973-916a-11e0-a3a9-efd24598a7e9}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\ntldr

Last edited:
hi terry
i did not intentionally change anything , but i see your point , xp should be on c:\.
xp was previously on c:\ until i installed a new ssd drive and installed win7 on the new ssd drive.

when i installed win7 on a new drive , i guess that installation moved xp to d:\ ?

true i can see the data , and even access data that is not in the user folder , but of course i want "c:\my documents" which i cannot access

can i take the drive with xp and install in another computer and access my data this way ?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what W7 calls the XP drive. The disk letters are just registry entries in the booted system and don't correlate from one system to another. The problem is if XP thinks its own letter has changed from what it installed as. That shouldn't have happened if all you've done is put a new system on a new drive without altering the original. The problem generally happens as a result of moving the OS partition to a different location.
Why did you install EasyBCD ?
You appear to have installed W7 with XP visible, because it has installed its boot files on the XP drive, in which case it will also have automatically dual-booted it without any need for further action.
Did XP ever boot after you installed W7, or did you do something else with EasyBCD outside of the "edit boot menu" page ? That XP entry is an EasyBCD entry, but there should already have been one there generated by the W7 install.
You can get your XP files in D:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents by just drilling down in explorer.
Don't try to use the W7 shortcut.

Last edited:
Hi Terry
Thanks for you help. I was finally able to access the information on the XP drive after much tooling around with the security permissions.

Back