WinDBG

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Alright Mahmoud another one for you.

Now on a site i visit, Experts Exchange, they dont allow for minidump files to be uploaded. Instead they convert the files into text files with the .txt file extension.

Now i have downlaoded a dump file and converted it back to a .dmp file but when i try to open it the file is corrupt. Is this because of the conversion?

Anyway you can check to make sure it isnt just me. I ahve tried to open it with notepad, notepad++ along with WinDBG and every time i get a corrupted file.

Now the user said that the mobo is in Chinese even though he uses a English version of Vista. I have installed the multi-lingual symbol packs so i should still be able to read this right?

Any help on this is appreciated.

Cheers,
Mak

Attachments

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you normally view .dmp files in notepad? I have on my machine, but it shows nothing more then unrecognizeable machine code.

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Normally no. But it was converted to a text file. That is why i tried notepad. I converted it back to a dump file myself.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sorry for the delay, Mak.

The file is corrupt. Either the user opened it in a text viewer and saved it from there, the upload process involved some sort of modification to the contents, or it was just corrupted somewhere along the way.

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Thanks Mahmoud. Just as i thought.

Cheers,
Mak