Window Locking

Kahai

Distinguished Member
okay so i searched google, (im no good at finding stuff at all)

i dont want a program that locks the computer, i want one that locks the top window as the top window, and keeps it on top no matter what until i hit the hot-key again, or close the window.

i have wanted this since i have gotten a second monitor, while playing a video game, (thats doesnt take over the mouse like a FPS) i may want to chat or change the song playing, but when i click off the game window (that is fullscreen) it brings me all the way back to desktop, and that isnt a fun time for me, takes a little bit, and is annoying!

So if there is something out there, that works with fullscreened windows too, that would be great. Oh and of course, freeware all the way!

Sadly i do not think you will get what you are looking for. Cause if you are gaming and you want to switch a song. You can not take focus away from the game and operate the media player at the same time. Maybe Mahmoud knows of something. But from what i know of Windows. This can not be accomplished. Not the way you are looking to do it.

well, why could the program somehow just give the window stay on top, that would i think solve the problem. like Winamp's stay on top (or many other programs)

Then maybe if i click off the window wouldnt become unactive.

Is there anyway of keeping a window active all the time, (as in stay on the top) guru?

---
edit: Btw thanks mak for trying ^_^

I don't know if a window can be overlaid on top of a DirectX or OpenGL game, but there are tools to keep windows on top of others - though they're not that easy to use.

nirCMD is one.. There was another, easier, tool but it's name doesn't come to mind right now. When I remember, I'll post back; but nirCMD should get the job done.

if im playing a game
(i have a dell laptop m140; which has a media shortcut panel with skip and volume control) i haven;t tried it but theoretically it should switch tracks even if I'm playing a game right, does that help kahia

Even with the media controls it shouldnt work. Those buttons might not be active during game or will take focus away from the game. :wink:

^ well my mute, and volume up and dont work in-game.

I just want that game window to stay active all the time, so that when i click off it, its still active and thus still in-game.

And thank you Guru, ill look that up.

---

I found this little program:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/winexp.html

that i can make any window stay on top, but not always active. What exactly makes the window active? what controls this, i know the mouse click or alt-tab switch can change the top-most "active" window.

Last edited:
I have a volume scroll button on my laptop and sometimes it works sometimes not. (Depending on which game youre playing)

Same thing with some extra mouse function buttons

I found this little program:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/winexp.html

that i can make any window stay on top, but not always active. What exactly makes the window active? what controls this, i know the mouse click or alt-tab switch can change the top-most "active" window.

I'm not sure what you're asking, Donald.

The Win32 API has functions that can set a specific window as active. Some actions are coded in Windows itself to trigger this event (mouse clicks). alt-tab is actually a program (well, a thread) that shows a list of available windows, and when you pick one, it triggers the Win32 functions to make that window active.

You don't want the top-most window to be always active - if it were, you wouldn't be able to use *any other program* until that application was stopped.

You don't want the top-most window to be always active - if it were, you wouldn't be able to use *any other program* until that application was stopped.

understood

i just want a fullscreen game, to not go all the way to desktop when i try to change songs or chat.

but i guess ill just have to live with it.

Also, i was wondering. If you have two different gfx cards, which support 4 monitors, if the second gfx card is actually a second desktop, or just more of an extention of the first. (this would in theory fix my problem)

Is there anything outside of emulation that will give me a second desktop?

Why cant there be an option for a second desktop?

There is - but you need to configure it from your video card's control center.
For nVidia you use the nView applet. For ATi cards, use the ATi Catalyst Control Center.

okay

i updated my nvidia driver, and i dont know where Nview is, i have an 8400GS

i can go into Nvidia control panel and under multiple desktops, all the settings im allowed are for if i wanted to use two monitors and which is primary. The section even talks about nview.

im so dumb :frowning:

---

i am on vista, and all the infomation i can find out for Nview is saying XP and under.

Quadro Current NVIDIA Driver
Windows XP/2000
Version: 83.62
Release Date: February 17, 2006

thats from nvidias site, on where to get nView

Last edited:
Back