Windows 10 Due July 29

Ex_Brit

Staff member
Windows 10 is being released on July 29, 2015 according to article today at USA Today.
Windows 10 to arrive July 29 Internet Explorer is not part of the Release. (Replaced by "Edge").
Interestingly this just appeared on my desktop..and anyone who is up to date with Windows Update will now see the Windows 10 logo in their taskbar, and clicking it results in the attached (click to enlarge)
(Only applies to those with fully updated Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 and 8.1)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 3
Doesn't apply to Enterprise W7, but I should see the logo on 8.1 next time I boot it, which is fine because that's the one I intend to upgrade to 10, leaving 7 as my main OS still.

Change of plan.
I shall be ignoring W10 for the foreseeable future.
It falls at the first hurdle.
Completely fails to meet my basic requirement.
My PC will not function without Media Center.
I might as well delete the insider version now. I can't see I'll ever switch off W7 till they prise it from my cold, dead fingers.

Feature deprecation
  • If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software.
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
  • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

I don't use it for playing DVDs, my Home Cinema does that.
I use it as a TV/Movie archive and as a second live TV.
Downgrading to W10 will remove the ability to stream thousands of hours of material via HDMI to my HC.
I can't imagine how they think that nobody uses WMC !!!!!

I got around that hurdle by installing WinTV v8 from my TV Tuner card maker's website: Hauppauge. Can't you do something similar?
All it needed was the original CD that came with the card to check whatever my hidden registration ID was.
Their website says it's Win 10 compatible.
I read somewhere that a separate DVD player software comes with Windows 10 or at least will be available.
(I have Cyberlink anyway)
Update settings can be adjusted.
I wont miss the desktop gadgets as I haven't used any in years. Too insecure.
No floppy and don't regard Windows Live Essentials very highly I'm afraid, so do not use them.

I used to have a Hauppauge tuner, but they didn't do a twin-tuner HD version, so I switched makers and their software is appalling.
Beside which my thousands of hours of archive are in .wtv format with associated (expensive - but good) editing software and plug-ins and applications which customize WMC's display and indexing features.
When I get off this inferior 8.1 (I'm only here to do the monthly patches) I'll paste a screenshot or two of what I'm expected to just give up and replace with a DVD player app !

I can understand. You obviously use WMC for a lot more than I do.
My Hauppauge does PIP bit I don't know what the definition is as I only use that when I'm listening to radio.

9.jpg

Just brushing the surface of the indexing/display capability of WMC when paired with Media Browser plugin and Media Center Master
All accessed with a wireless mouse on my HDTV and surround-sound, connected through the wall via HDMI to the PC archive.

OMG, I see what you mean. I suppose a media converter would involve too much work....like my ill-begotten plan to transfer my 1000's of vinyl discs to CD or my other failed plan to transfer all my 35mm slides to DVD......sigh.

Terry, I believe it's been included in "Add addtional Windows Features", in 10 previews all along and THIS article speculates it may be there in the final version too as an extra.

I will test this when the time comes as I am only upgrading 1 of my Windows 7's and my much-detested Windows 8.1 Pro w/MC. We shall see I guess.

Sorry I can't verify any of this right now as I ditched my 10 Preview.

If you have a preview build right now I wouldn't try this though as reading further on the matter apparently using a purchased Windows 8 MC key on a preview build causes mayhem and may deactivate Windows altogether.....so NOT a good idea a.t.m.

From the above, it may be worth purchasing the key....IF the option is there in Windows Features. I somehow feel it may not be.

That's a very old article (albeit with a new note inserted). It always compromised W10 to add 8.1MC and made it un-updateable so it would probably screw W10 RTM completely. But from the deprecation statement, I imagine that they will have closed that loophole in the official release so that MC can't be added.
They seem determined to ditch it, otherwise they would just have left it in situ on W7 and W8.1 systems which have it already, instead of actively removing it.

Well mine is used constantly in my W7 and 8.1 systems, why they couldn't have developed it further for W10 only they know for sure, but it seems to me that Vista Ultimate was the last great OS that had absolutely everything. After that they started whittling things down.
I have no intention of even trying to port it over to W10 when the time comes, but I asked because people were saying online that it was listed in early preview copies of W10 in the WU > Turn Windows features on and off.

Back