Windows 10 iso and a few other questions?

joemardo1

Hi folks,

I have 2 installations of windows (oem) on my computer and intend to update one of them to windows 10 when it comes out.

1 Will I be able to to make an iso image of windows 10 after I download it through windows update I wonder, to make it more convenient than using windows update again if reinstalling the whole OS?

2 Since the two windows 7 I currently have is the same genuine product key and run on on two different partitions quite happily, do you think if I upgrade one of them to windows 10, I could leave the other windows 7 the way it is and both OS will run ok. I take it that Microsoft will still have the option to revert to windows 7 from windows 10 hence the above question.

3 Since windows 10 is only free for first year, if a person who has upgraded a windows 7 within the first year then decides to do a complete reinstall of windows after a year, will windows 10 be chargeable then?

Sorry for all the questions probably all the answers are not clear at the moment but might affect other users too.

Thanks J
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&t=5264029

1 Will I be able to to make an iso image of windows 10 after I download it through windows update I wonder, to make it more convenient than using windows update again if reinstalling the whole OS?

Yes, apparently you can make an ISO image from the ESD file that Microsoft delivers: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...sd-file.html?filter[2]=Installation and Setup

2 Since the two windows 7 I currently have is the same genuine product key and run on on two different partitions quite happily, do you think if I upgrade one of them to windows 10, I could leave the other windows 7 the way it is and both OS will run ok. I take it that Microsoft will still have the option to revert to windows 7 from windows 10 hence the above question.

Logic tells me yes, but in practice that's something you will have to play by ear or rather trial and error. The answer lies with the Microsoft activation process and whether or not it's totally foolproof.

3 Since windows 10 is only free for first year, if a person who has upgraded a windows 7 within the first year then decides to do a complete reinstall of windows after a year, will windows 10 be chargeable then?

That's an unknown as far as I can tell, as of this moment. Let's hope that Windows 10 comes with a backup and restore feature in its final form.

Now there are others with much more experience than myself here, so let's someone can add to what I've posted.

Actually a bit of Googling got me an answer to your Q:3, as long as you've made that ISO, you will get a product key with the free upgrade and it should be all you need after that one year for a re-installation.
The free upgrade is for a limited period, so what happens when I have to re-install Windows 10 (PC slow, corrupt etc)? If it’s now 18 months or two years down the line, is it now chargeable? Will there be a downloadable version I can keep to re-install? Nigel

I expect that the Windows 10 upgrade will be downloadable and will come with its own product key: this is how the current trial version of Windows 10 works. (The product key is on the Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO page.) If you have a product key then you can re-install Windows 10 in any way you want.

I also expect that Windows 10 will include the option to create your own restore DVDs. However, you might want to create these by downloading the Windows 10 upgrade from Microsoft’s website, instead of letting Windows Update do the upgrade. (Windows Update will, at some point, delete its download to save disk space.)

Once you have Windows 10 installed, it would be sensible to create restore discs, if that’s possible, or to take a drive image that you can use to restore your PC. Perhaps physical backups are not strictly necessary, but even if we never need them, they make some of us feel more secure.

Thanks a lot Peter for taking the time and trouble to reply.

Just another little question if its ok.

I use Acronis home 2010 to make backups of windows 7 on a frequent basis (works fine so far though my version of acronis is getting long in the tooth now, not compatible with windows 8 though)

So if I upgrade one of my windows 7 to windows 10, then decide I don't like 10 for some reason if I reinstall my acronis backup of windows 7 will it still show as genuine I wonder, OEM got with computer in early 2010? Someone has told me that once I start the windows 10 update that my windows 7 product key is "consumed" within windows 10 and its if my windows 7 product key no longer exists, except if windows 10 install fails.

As I would be simply putting back my original copy of windows 7 though the acronis backup I wonder if the windows 7 key would be seen as genuine in this instance?

Thanks a lot again
J

Back