Windows 10 OEM Recovery of Product Key

B Renouf

I guess I didn't look close enough when I tried to recover my product key with the Product Key Tool.
My product key is embeded in my motherboard, which is defective, and I had to buy a new one.
Now I find that MS says I have to buy a new Windows 10 software package?????
I thought this tool would pull it from the software on the hard drive but I guess not.
Anyone able to do anything about this (other than buy a new Windows 10 package)?

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
If W10 came ready installed with an embedded key, it'll be an OEM key which is a license for the specific hardware it came with and even if you could extract it, it wouldn't activate on different hardware anyway.
Use the telephone activation procedure with MS and explain the situation and it's odds on that they'll do it manually (unless your telephone manner is particularly piratical - steer well clear of "Ooh aaar Jim lad")

B Renouf

How did you get to a live agent? What # did you use? I've had absolutely no luck so far to get to talk to an agent and explain my situation.

Ex_Brit

Super Moderator
Staff member

B Renouf

Still can't get someone live to speak with. For Window 10 they give a web site to go to then hang up on you???? They say that Windows 10 is only supported online now?
When I request to activate, they stay with an automated voice system, still no live agent as they say the wait times are too long. WOW what a pain for sure.

Ex_Brit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well live help here depends on whether or not someone with knowl;edge spots your post.
I can tell you that the forum is pretty slow right now.

B Renouf

OK...fine but I'm not looking for live help with NoeSmart. I'm looking for a way to get live help from Microsoft.