Windows 7 after XP installed, no Bootloader !

tec78

Hi,

i have installed Windows 7 after Win XP at a new Partition ( installed it to drive c: ). Now only the Windows 7 Starts.
I have downloaded the easy bcd 1.7.2 and addet XP to start from drive d: . But now, when i start the Bootloader it show Win 7 and XP but if i select XP theres an Error and the Computer restarts. Win 7 loads ok if i select it.
I have also copy the ntldr and ntdetect to the drive d: where i have XP installed.

Anyone have an Answer for me ?

Sorryy for my Bad English i am from germany

Greetings Frank

Hi Frank, welcome to NST.
You need to copy the files you mentioned from XP to whichever partition is marked "system" in disk management (systempartition in German).
Use EasyBCD 2.0 which will automate the addition of XP for you to a far greater extent than 1.7, and accept its offer to create boot.ini for you. (or you can invoke the boot.ini auto-configurator from the EasyBCD tools menu)
You can find more detail in the sticky thread.

Last edited:
Hi Terry,

i have download the beta and try it like you said : Copy the two files : ntldr and ntdetect to my d:windows system . I then startet the easy bcd and went to tools and klick "auto configure boot ini " ok, then the message appears : easy bcd has sucessfully re configured your boot ini. But now when i come to the bootloader and select XP , there comes an Error with " Ntdetect " and the computer restarts...

This is what my bootloader looks now ( Torq is the name for Win XP )

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Torq
Timeout: 30 seconds.
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Torq
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

ntdetect and the like needs to be on your C: drive. You should re-add XP's entry becuase its pointing at D: which is the wrong place to find ntldr, etc.

ok, now i have copy the ntldr and ntdetect to drive c: ( which is the win 7 drive , i dont understand not why i copy it to this drive because XP is on drive d: , but i make it like kairozamarro said ) and now when i start up and choose xp the error message " ntdetect ist fehlgeschlagen... i think it means ntdetect ist not availalable " comes up and the pc starts again ...

here is the bootloader :

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Torq
Timeout: 30 seconds.
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: WinXP
BCD ID: {default}
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Last edited:
Have you read the sticky thread ?
Have you verified which of your partitions is "systempartition" ? (point 3)
Have you copied ntdetect.com and ntldr into the root of the "systempartition" ?
Did you follow the link to the troubleshooter ? (point 6)
It describes your problem and what to do to fix it. (what I've just described above)

Multiple Windows installations all keep their boot files in the "systempartition".
That's why you have to copy the XP files FROM XP TO "systempartition", like I said in my first post.

Assumption on my behalf about it being C:. Just because XP is on D: though doesnt mean that is where it should be pointing. In lack of time to type of a couple chapters, I should have said apply my advice to the system "active" partition. Now read over Terry's sticky. It should detail everything you need to know to troubleshoot the non working XP entry.

Back