WINDOWS 7 BOOT HELP

ChampNME

Okay I have done so many steps on BCDEDIT and Bootrec and Bootsect that i just dont know what ive done now ... Okay at first my computer didnt boot up (WINDOWS 7) because Bootmgr was failing and it happens to me a lot since i mess with the inside of my computer on a daily basis with other things... okay anyway well i was going to rebuild the BCD and i did something wrong because now when i do a BOOTREC /ScanOS in Windows RE enviroment i get

D:\WINDOWS.old\Windows

if im not mistaken i think i redirected everything to Windows.old or something in other steps prior to this..

BCDEDIT looks like this..

Windows Boot Manager
----------------------------------
identifier {Bootmgr}
device partition =C:
description windows boot manager
default {default}
displayorder {default}
timeout 10

Windows Boot Loader
--------------------------------
identifier {default}
device Partition=C:
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
description windows vista
osdevice partition =C:
systemroot \windows

I am only running one current Hard drive and it has apparently two parts one Being C: AND D: But C: is called System Reserve or something on those terms and is only 100 Megs while D: contains the actual windows installation so i was wondering how i can redirect the boot again

-thanks in advance, Chris

Last edited:
Hi Chris, welcome to NST.
If you install W7 to a blank HDD and let it do its own formatting, it will produce an unlettered boot partition in addition to the OS partition. You can prevent it doing so by partitioning the HDD yourself and telling the install to put the OS in the partition you've made for it.
If you've been messing about with BCDedit commands and got things into a twist.
Boot the W7 DVD, "Repair your computer" " startup repair"
as many times as necessary till W7 boots without the DVD (probably 3, depending on just how much is broken).

Thanks for the response,
The problem with that is that the RE only reads C: System Reserved and not D: i dont know how i even made two partitions but now i cant get Startup Repair to look at D: because only C: shows

Did you give a letter to the boot partition W7 creates ?
Was W7 originally C: and has got changed to D:, or was it always D: ?

Back