Windows 7 - BSOD, no BSOD in safe mode. Sil3112 (sata controller)

thecopy

Hello

I installed Windows 7 today on my SATA-drive and i get a BSOD in normal mode after about 5 minutes after login. It tells me the IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL-message and displays SI3112r.sys.

This i cannot understand because it works fine in safe mode.

Any ideas? My motherboard is the quite old ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

Addendum:

It seems that it works with this driver [ http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3112R_x86_10620_logo.zip ] * SiI3x12 32-bit Windows SATARAID Driver

I hade previously tried the Windows BASE Driver and that made the system didn't boot at all. Its the SATARAID you want.

I can't say for sure its stable until tomorrow but for now ~15 minutes it seems stable. Well, it's quite late here in Sweden now. Good night!

Last edited:

manonamission

hi I'm having a similar issue trying to go to Win7 from XP. were you upgrading an existing system, or a new machine? Should I just download the driver and have it on a usb stick ready to use during my install, or should I update my XP machine with it first?

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can't upgrade from XP to Windows 7. You must first upgrade to Vista and than Windows 7.

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or maybe you can...

Edit:

Or you can't. Just looked over the page and its what I thought. They word it as an upgrade and you even use the custom option according to the page, but really its a clean install. You haft to backup your files and restore them along with re-installing any programs you had.

Last edited:

michaelkenward

Addendum:

It seems that it works with this driver [ http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3112R_x86_10620_logo.zip ] * SiI3x12 32-bit Windows SATARAID Driver
I have just registered so that I can say many thanks for that one little pointer.

After crawling all over the place looking for a solution, this is the only one that just might have eliminated the BSOD's on my new Windows 7 installation.

Only took me a week to sort it out.

When you do use those drivers, you should find that Windows 7 can check for updates and may even find a newer driver.