WINDOWS 7 can not read DVD-R data disks.

I have had this problem for years and so have many others, but no one seems to have a serious or functioning solution. I will upload some screenshots so that those of you with solutions can see what faults lie within the system and ways to correct the settings.many times the cd disks will show the files, but the DVDs will not. Some of my dvds that I can see who the UDF component,perhaps the disk was not burnt wile including the UDF reader, but if I need to install a UDF reader to my system will that work? Please look at the registry and other images , (yes ts an vintage machine) but it is the one that I used to burn the original disks.
View attachment 3497 View attachment 3497 View attachment 3498 .proper mount volume path.jpg no media.jpg no media.jpg

Attachments

• dvd problems.txt
    1,005 bytes · Views: 2
I assume:
a) Your DVD reader is supposed to be able to read DVD-R data disks as in your picture it's shown as a CD player (those can't play DVD media) and
b) You've updated the firmware for the drive itself? That is often why a drive malfunctions.
You really should be asking your drive maker's or your PC maker's support about this.

Since this was an old machine GATEWAY, that I purchased from Ebay, and two other gateway machines do not read the disk, I recently bought an HP touch screen, and still many of the disks just do not read.GATEWAY; as with many computer companies are useless for any updates, once the year warranty is out you are on your own. I believe that it is just a matter of the right settings, and since it seems to happens to many people , I am surprised as to why the solution has yet to be solved.Those who have far greater abilities must read that the incorrect settings have been used and they can suggest the proper adjustments. The dvds themselves are in great condition as they have not even been touched in years, but several of them are starting to peel and turn black on the undersides.. proof that DVDS do deteriorate after 9 or so years, which is the time that the disks have been sitting in the box. As you can see in the most recent "NO MEDIA " image. now I can not see any data from any dvds , but can see the contents of cds.i am sure it is the settings or some files that I need to restore. Recently I have been placing what daat i could recover on external hard drives. It seems that you can not be confident in any storage systems.Also, for those who may have an interest trying to solve this problem, remember that as a teenager, i often tweaked many settings that most rational people would never touch, so now here i am trying to fix it. I remember that the data was available when i burnt them, Roxio 6 creator and Free dvd burner. I also have three old Gateway computers that I am planning to donate, but want to remove the hard drives, because there is really no way to erase or shred any data on a hard drive once it has been placed on the machine.

Attachments

• no media.jpg
    no media.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 3
I do not use this machine for anything of importance as it was purchased through ebay and is quite vintage, it was only $48 free shipping hard drive tower, windows 7 ultimate edition, 17 inch monitor! but the scores that were given to me from the diagnostics were almost 90% 0. But even the new HP that I bought is freezing up on me,

Attachments

• may info.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 8
By the way, they'll need the make and model number of the CD-ROM drive. That's why I suggested running Belarc Advisor, it lists everything on your machine for you.

Back