Windows 7 : Drive Name

Hikermann

Distinguished Member
i have a Seagate external drive used as backup; assigned to Drive I:; when I would boot up, that drive was always correct; yesterday, I replaced my printer (USB connection); now, the Seagate shows is as Drive K: and when I go to Disk Management to Change, Drive I: does not show as an option; if I reboot and immediately go to Change Drive, I: will be there.

What's the problem; how can I assure that the Seagate is always identified as I: ??

Thank you, appreciated!

In Disk Management, assign the desired letter to each of your devices.
If you assign a letter it will be mapped in the registry, and reassigned that same letter on each boot.
If you do not specifically assign a letter, one will be dynamically assigned at POST.
This generally results in a consistent set of assignments until the h/w changes
Adding or removing a device, will alter the detection sequence in POST and some or all of the device letters will change depending on how early in POST the new device is detected.

Thank you for the info; yes, the Epson printer has a slot, so that's probably what's muscling-in on the Windows processes.

I've decided the printer is going to be returned (for various reasons) and am getting something different; so, that means I'll be starting over on this drive-assignment business.

Appreciate your help!

First thing I do when installing a new OS is set all my drive letter assignments after setup finishes and before I do anything else.
DVD burners are A and B, (since Windows stopped reserving them - used to use U and V)) OSs on SSD are C (live -normally W7) and D (idle - normally W10) (they swap when the other is booted). Then all my other internal drives are set the same on every OS and all external drives get a permanent letter, usually a mnemonic if I can arrange it (R for Rally O for my old Olympus camera etc.) My backup ext-HDD has been "N" since Windows ME and remains so right through to W10.
My printer, phone and current camera don't need a letter, they just pop-up as themselves when powered up/attached.
Makes it much simpler when copying from one flash drive to another if you always know that one is always P and the other always R, rather than guessing which one is which of the two new letters that just popped into view.
The registry will recognize the drive serial number as you plug it in and give it the letter you assigned even if it wasn't present when you booted.

Terry - Thanks, too, for your info; appreciate. My problem is that from the start my ext-HD has been I: -- which is too close to the beginning of the alphabet as other devices show up and compete with it; so am thinking about designating it as "N" or some such, but that means I have to go through all of my macros, etc., and recalibrate them . . . not certain I want to spend the time doing that.

Well, we'll see. Again, thanks.

Back